Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Decameron

Ash
Bibliomaniac

The Decameron

Post by Ash » Wed February 16th, 2011, 3:17 am

A local book group is reading this classic in a few months. I've been wanting to read it forever, but never was sure which version to get. Any recommendations as to the most readable translation?

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed February 16th, 2011, 5:19 am

I've got the Penguin version myself, but haven't read it yet.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:30 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]I've got the Penguin version myself, but haven't read it yet.[/quote]

I've got one from Dover. Ditto on the not having read it yet. Want to do a buddy read?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed February 16th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Sure! Still would like to know what version to get - has anyone read it who can recommend one? (tho looking at Amazon, both of those got good ratings)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed February 16th, 2011, 5:46 pm

I'm good for a buddy read on that. I've always meant to read it. Besides, if I'm going through Cathedral of the Sea, it should give another perspective on the same period, told from those who lived it.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed February 16th, 2011, 6:11 pm

I have a Penguin edition, but it's probably 30 years since I last read it!

Jack
Reader

Post by Jack » Sat March 5th, 2011, 11:48 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I've got one from Dover. Ditto on the not having read it yet. Want to do a buddy read?[/quote]

I've never done a buddy read before, but I'd like to if that's okay. Just let me know what to do and when. I have the Penguin version.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun March 6th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Oh gosh I completely forgot about this - and I have RL issues right now, so I don't know when I'll get to the book. If you want to do a buddy read, I think you just start a thread in that folder.

http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... y.php?f=77

BendBill
Location: Bend, Oregon for 9 months; sonoran desert of AZ for 3-4 months

Post by BendBill » Thu April 7th, 2011, 5:55 am

For The Decameron I like the Signet edition, trans by Mark Musa and Peter Bondanella, isbn 978 045152866-7. The less expensive Dovers are a super value, but often use ancient translations.

Musa and Bondanella have all 100 tales with nice mini-descriptions. They also included a recommended short list of the best of the tales if one hasn't the time to tackle the hundred.

Have fun when you get around to the tales. They're a hoot :-)

Return to “Classics”