Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Henry Sieniekwicz

PetraVerne
Scribbler

Post by PetraVerne » Wed May 11th, 2011, 11:12 am

[quote=""Kveto from Prague""]I think the Poles themselves tend to consider "Knights" better as well. Ive always thought a lot of authors probably feel that their most well known works are not their best ones.

im enjoying "knights" but its tough to read off the computer.[/quote]

Let me add a little...Poles, specially students of the junior high schools are not fascinated by "The Teutonic Knights" because this book is their obligatory reading. ;) The same problem touches older students ;) - I mean "The Deluge"...but to be serious - I advice you "The Trilogy" (filmed) -
  1. 1. "With Fire and Sword ", 2. "The Deluge", 3. "Fire in the Steppe"
- THREE Masterpieces! - you could understand H. Sienkiewicz much more better...what is more - "Lighthouse Keeper " - to understand "Poles Soul", for teenagers - "In Desert and Wilderness". - Welcome to The Museum of H. Sienkiewicz - > http://www.mnki.pl/sienkiewicz_en/s,200,Whats_on.html.

But - I am impressed, since ages, by Józef Ignacy Kraszewski ( regarded as second H. Sienkiewicz) and his fiction and non fiction novels! He wrote only...232 volumes ( there are 88 historical among them).

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu November 10th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Looks like the first two of The Trilogy books are now in the public domain as of August of this year (Curtin translation). I just noticed them on Kindle and see that they are posted at Gutenberg as well. This makes me happy. I've been wanting to try them. (edited to note the third one is available too, it's just that the title varies)
Last edited by Ludmilla on Thu November 10th, 2011, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classics”