Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Classics to Read

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Classics to Read

Post by Susan » Tue April 20th, 2010, 10:51 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Nearly finished with The Pickwick Papers.
Next will be... Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. (I've had it for a while, and it was calling to me.)[/quote]

You are really on a classic kick, aren't you! My son has been on a similar kick. Every time he visits from Virginia, he borrows some classics...books he should have already read, but better late than never!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue April 20th, 2010, 10:58 pm

[quote=""Susan""]You are really on a classic kick, aren't you! My son has been on a similar kick. Every time he visits from Virginia, he borrows some classics...books he should have already read, but better late than never![/quote]

Yes. Since I've read so few, decided I needed to fix that. Found a several I already owned, from when I wanted to do this years ago. And keep finding new ones I want to read. Might end up reading nothing but classics until next year.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue April 20th, 2010, 11:35 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Yes. Since I've read so few, decided I needed to fix that. Found a several I already owned, from when I wanted to do this years ago. And keep finding new ones I want to read. Might end up reading nothing but classics until next year.[/quote]

Now don't forget Eliot, Gaskell and Oliphant OK?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Tue April 20th, 2010, 11:35 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Next will be... Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. (I've had it for a while, and it was calling to me.)[/quote]

Loved Wuthering Heights :) .
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Tue April 20th, 2010, 11:39 pm

[quote=""Jemidar""]Loved Wuthering Heights :) .[/quote]

Not sure what to read after that one. Maybe more Dickens. But perhaps something else. :o

Misfit, I've got four George Eliot books.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Wed April 21st, 2010, 12:05 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Misfit, I've got four George Eliot books.[/quote]

If you've got Middlemarch, go with that. It's one of my all time favourite books! (I ended up having to buy my copy from the library because I became so attached to it I couldn't bare to give it back :o .)

And also don't forget Jane Austen, Henry James and William Makepeace (what were his parents thinking?!) Thackery. But definitely leave out D.H. Lawrence :p .

You know, to do the classics properly (which I have never done :o ) it could take years :D ;) .
Jenny

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Wed April 21st, 2010, 12:16 am

[quote=""Jemidar""]If you've got Middlemarch, go with that. It's one of my all time favourite books! (I ended up having to buy my copy from the library because I became so attached to it I couldn't bare to give it back :o .)

And also don't forget Jane Austen, Henry James and William Makepeace (what were his parents thinking?!) Thackery. But definitely leave out D.H. Lawrence :p .

You know, to do the classics properly (which I have never done :o ) it could take years :D ;) .
[/quote]

Oh, I just got Middlemarch. I think I have all of Jane Austen's books now. Not sure which one to read first though. And I've got "Portrait of a Lady", and "Vanity Fair". Mostly, I have Dickens novels. Not all, but many.

I shall just start with the ones I own/ want to read for now.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Wed April 21st, 2010, 12:23 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Oh, I just got Middlemarch. I think I have all of Jane Austen's books now. Not sure which one to read first though. And I've got "Portrait of a Lady", and "Vanity Fair". Mostly, I have Dickens novels. Not all, but many.

I shall just start with the ones I own/ want to read for now.[/quote]

I love all Austen but my favs are Persuasion and Pride & Prejudice...followed closely by Sense & Sensibility. I've read both Portrait of a Lady and Vanity Fair and think VF is probably more enjoyable and certainly not nearly as depressing.

Oh, I forgot to mention Edith Wharton earlier :D .
Jenny

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Wed April 21st, 2010, 12:32 am

[quote=""Jemidar""]I love all Austen but my favs are Persuasion and Pride & Prejudice...followed closely by Sense & Sensibility. I've read both Portrait of a Lady and Vanity Fair and think VF is probably more enjoyable and certainly not nearly as depressing.

Oh, I forgot to mention Edith Wharton earlier :D .
[/quote]

Think I might go to Sense and Sensibility after Wuthering Heights.

And I have one of Edith Wharton's books. Maybe you should PM me a list of the classics you like, and I'll tell you which ones I have. Might help me decide what the reading order will be.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Wed April 21st, 2010, 12:42 pm

The only Hardy I've read is Tess of the D'urbevilles and the Mayor Casterbridge. I found both of them incredibly depressing :( . Are his others any different?

This conversation is making me want to pull out all my fav classics and do a re-read. Classics can be considered historical fiction, can't they?
Jenny

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Return to “Classics”