Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

last of the mohicans

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

last of the mohicans

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed April 14th, 2010, 6:14 pm

ive tried to read this at least twice in my youth. never got through it. i liked the film from the 90s (wes studi who played magua was brilliant)

anybody like it? im thinking about trying it again.

chuck
Bibliophile

Cooper's Classic

Post by chuck » Wed April 14th, 2010, 6:42 pm

[quote=""keny from prague""]ive tried to read this at least twice in my youth. never got through it. i liked the film from the 90s (wes studi who played magua was brilliant)

anybody like it? im thinking about trying it again.[/quote]

I must have tried at least 5 times to give LOTM a read....could not put up with it...Language is much to flowery and laboroius....Suggestion....I got a Audio/unabridged CD from my library....I listened to it's entirety on a long road trip....Much more enjoyable to listen to... then the actual read....BTW....The 90's film version(I thoroughly enjoyed)...WTS Cooper's version is a bit darker and sadder.....P.S. Quite few years the BBC did a television version of LOTM...Very close the original Cooper's version...Production was a bit stiff and stagy...Nice try....Yes Studi was brilliant along with Daniel Day Lewis as Hawkeye....
Last edited by chuck on Wed April 14th, 2010, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 14th, 2010, 6:47 pm

I started it once, lost interest. Never picked it back up.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed April 14th, 2010, 7:01 pm

I've read it twice, the first time when I was 12, and then again in my mid teens. I loved it then, but I was inspired by the BBC production of it first and probably wouldn't have picked it up without that. I would probably find it tough going now, but back then I was game! :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Thu April 15th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Tried it in my teens and twenties - couldn't finish it either time! The prose is IMHO far too flowery and long-winded (a bit like Dickens). The film w. Daniel Day-Lewis, on the other hand, was magnificently done, I thought. Terribly moving in so many places. (Although, the last time I watched it, I thought the initial hunt scene was daft. :confused: The scene opens with DDL/Hawkeye and the Mohicans running and running like mad, only to take a pot shot at a deer which is stationary. As anyone who knows about hunting deer will tell you, it's a case of stalking them quietly, and taking a shot from a concealed position.)
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu April 15th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Ben....Artistic license....and Hawkeye(Natty Bumpo) was a platonic character in Cooper's Novels.....I wish the film what have stuck with the Cooper storyline....Maqua kills Cora etc....But Hollywood had to sugar coat a bittersweet ending......WTS...Still a very enjoyable film to watch.....

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu April 15th, 2010, 5:07 pm

im glad im not the only one who couldnt get through the book. i was wondering if it was just me.

id like to read it eventually just to be able to compare it to the film but i doubt i ever will. The film is great in my opinion, great acting, a redemption character (duncan), brutal battles, a great setting (cant think of any other 7 years wars films other than barry lyndon), and a sad ending. my favourite Amerindian film by far. much better than "dances with wolves" by a mile. I loved that it had heroic and villianous characters on all sides and peoples. it definately stayed away from portraying the tribespeople as "primative".

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Thu April 15th, 2010, 8:05 pm

I read it, and the sequel, (Leather stocking? - I remember some poor girl getting scalped but surviving) when I was in my early teens and would read absolutelyanything.
In the early 1970s, the BBC did a very low budget series - I remember the Welsh actor Philip Madoc as the wicked Huron, and they were all wandering around a damp Welsh woodland.
I found the film a bit confusing in parts - too dark, and I couldn't tell who everyone was.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu April 15th, 2010, 8:15 pm

[quote=""Eigon""]I read it, and the sequel, (Leather stocking? - I remember some poor girl getting scalped but surviving) when I was in my early teens and would read absolutelyanything.
In the early 1970s, the BBC did a very low budget series - I remember the Welsh actor Philip Madoc as the wicked Huron, and they were all wandering around a damp Welsh woodland.
I found the film a bit confusing in parts - too dark, and I couldn't tell who everyone was.[/quote]

That's the one I saw Eigon - but I did rather fall for Uncas - which was what made me read the thing!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri April 16th, 2010, 1:01 am

I read the novel in junior high and have seen the 1992 movie a few times. Oh, I also have the soundtrack.
From imdb.com, there's been several versions.

Return to “Classics”