Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ann Rinaldi

aessea1001
Scribbler

Ann Rinaldi

Post by aessea1001 » Mon November 10th, 2008, 12:45 am

I started reading Rinaldi's novels when I was in junior high, and I've noticed that some of the later ones she's written haven't been as good as her earlier ones. For example: I loved "A Break With Charity" (written in the early '90s) but I wasn't as enthusiastic about "Girl In Blue" (2001). The ones I've enjoyed reading the most I've noticed by her are the books in the "Great Episodes" Series published by the Harcourt publishing company. I'm interested to know what does anyone else think about Rinaldi's books? Love 'em? Like 'em? Hate 'em?

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun December 14th, 2008, 11:48 pm

It's been a while since I read a Rinaldi, but I loved A Break With Charity and The Fifth of March. She does a wonderful job of bringing historical episodes to life. I've heard that she's got a new one out that branches out from American history, to Elizabeth I.

Forskande
Scribbler

I have read two

Post by Forskande » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 7:28 pm

:rolleyes:
I read "The Second Bend in the River" and "Time Enough for Drums" by Ann Rinaldi.

I did NOT like River. At all. I loved drums though.

I wanted to read more by her but I'm really picky. I like my historical fiction to have two people in it that end up together at the end. Whether or not the romance is the main plot or not, it's gotta be there. As far as I know, Time Enough for Drums, River and Blue Girl are the only three she did that have a love story in them right? If she had more I'd read them in a heart beat.

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 12:10 am

My favorite of hers is The Last Silk Dress, about the American Civil War. Loved it!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 1:44 am

I read the Last Silk Dress many moons ago when I was young. I remember it vaguely. I just finished Juliet's Moon, which was OK. I wasn't thrilled with it, but it was a decent enough read. I am also reading the Red Headed Princess, which is about Elizabeth and I'm enjoying that.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 8:34 am

Someone lent me their copy of Hang a Thousand Ribbons last year. I enjoyed it - it was an easy read (I think it's actually aimed at the young adult market).
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

rebecca191
Reader

Post by rebecca191 » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 4:38 am

I liked most of the books I've read by her. I don't think her books in the past couple of years have been as good though. Some of the stories have just been odd. Also practically every book she wrote in the past 3 years was about the Civil War, it seems she used to have more variety of settings. Both of her new books this year will be about the Civil War as well... bleh.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 11:21 am

She wrote one about Elizabeth, but I dunno when that was published. I bought it for the lib and I thought it was recent. I'll have to double check.

I think in the back of the book she says that she does or her son does civil war reenactment, so maybe thats why she is gunned up on the CW. I dont mind. A lot of authors write in a specific genre (tudores etc.) Its just I didnt like the book I read of her.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

rebecca191
Reader

Post by rebecca191 » Sun April 5th, 2009, 12:13 am

Well I guess for me why I started liking her less was she used to write a variety of settings (early 1800s, late 1800s, the frontier, Colonial America, Revolutionary War, and yes the Civil War) but now basically everything is Civil War or the events leading up to it. If she had started out that way it wouldn't have been such a change that annoyed me I guess. I loved the variety of settings she used to write but now it just seems like she's stretching to find yet another Civil War event to write about.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue May 24th, 2011, 11:21 pm

I just finished Nine Days a Queen, about Lady Jane Grey. I thought it was well written, but it contained some weird historical errors--not huge but annoying to anyone who's researched the period in depth. I thought she did a good job of making Jane an appealing character.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”