Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Fiction Picture Books?

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Historical Fiction Picture Books?

Post by rockygirl » Tue June 12th, 2012, 3:28 am

This genre is growing the past couple of years.

I'm been collecting them as I find them, as I can use them in my Social Studies classes.

If people are interested, I'd be glad to start a list.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue June 12th, 2012, 10:03 am

There are some really popular Roman series in French, but hardly any of them have been translated into English :(
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed June 13th, 2012, 3:06 am

Considering that two dozen people have looked at this thread to find nothing here, I thought there may be enough interest to add to this thread. Hold on to your seats, I have over 2000 picture books and quite a few that fit into this category!

I'll start with my two latest acquisitions.

The Day Gogo Went to Vote by Elinor Batezat Sisulu
I thought this was historical fiction when I picked it up, but the copyright just told me otherwise. Told through a child's eyes, a hundred year old grandmother goes to vote in the first South African election open to blacks. Although her family tries to talk her out of voting, due to her health, the grandmother persists. The neighbors join together and find a solution to make the grandmother's dream possible. The only downside of the book is that the illustrations, while beautiful, are very dark. Although this book was published in 1996, two years after the historic vote, I thought it was worthy of inclusion on this list, as the 1994 election in South Africa was such a huge event in world history.

The Memory Coat by Elvira Woodruff
This picture book is an immigration story with a familiar theme. A Jewish family, victimized by the pogroms in Russia, decide to immigrate to America. There is a problem at Ellis Island, when one family member appears to have an eye infection, and the family is almost separated. One detail that appears in this story that isn't in a lot of children's immigration story is the hook that was used to inspect the eyes for infection. The strength of this book is in the period details and the specific historical language (ex. cossacks).

The thing I like about historical fiction picture books as they can be used at any age. I've even read them to adults! As a teacher (and an aunt), I've used them to introduce units, topics, and points of view.

More to follow.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed June 13th, 2012, 3:08 am

[quote=""parthianbow""]There are some really popular Roman series in French, but hardly any of them have been translated into English :( [/quote]

Ben,

Could you give me some details about the titles/authors? My French teacher colleague may be interested.

It was a lot of years before the SPQR series by Roberts got translated from German to English. Maybe these books will be translated some day.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed June 13th, 2012, 4:09 am

Are you talking about graphic novels? There is a wonderful series that started in the 70s called The Cartoon History of the Universe that is well researched and well presented (and hilarious). Ive read the first 3 (in fact have some of the original individual comics that came out first), but I suspect the last two are just as good.

Beginning with its original comic book Volume 1 in 1977, the complete series covers world history through 2008.

Gonick, Larry (1990). The Cartoon History of the Universe - From the Big Bang to Alexander the Great (Volumes 1-7). Doubleday. pp. 368. ISBN 0-385-26520-4.

Gonick, Larry (1994). The Cartoon History of the Universe II - From the Springtime of China to the Fall of Rome (Volumes 8-13). Doubleday. pp. 305. ISBN 0-385-42093-5.

Gonick, Larry (2002). The Cartoon History of the Universe III - From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance (Volumes 14-19). Doubleday. pp. 300. ISBN 0-393-32403-6.

Gonick, Larry (2006). The Cartoon History of the Modern World - Volume 1: From Columbus to the U.S. Constitution. Collins. pp. 272. ISBN 0-06-076004-4.

Gonick, Larry (2009). The Cartoon History of the Modern World - Volume 2: From the Bastille to Baghdad. Collins. pp. 272. ISBN 0-06-076008-7.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed June 13th, 2012, 11:31 pm

Hi,
I'm talking about actual picture books, not graphic novels. A lot of authors/publishers are producing picture books aimed at older readers. An increasing number have historical themes (both fiction and non-fiction).

rebecca191
Reader

Post by rebecca191 » Sat June 16th, 2012, 4:15 am

I used to love historical fiction picture books as a child! I'd bet most of the ones I read are no longer in print though. A few I remember after all these years:

Klara's New World by Karen Ackerman
Araminta's Paint Box by Jeanette Winter
Going West by Jean Van Leeuwen
Katie's Trunk by Ann Turner
Dakota Dugout by Ann Turner
The Log Cabin Quilt by Ellen Howard

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun June 17th, 2012, 2:44 am

I know there is one about Joan of Arc.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Manuherb

Post by Manuherb » Tue July 10th, 2012, 9:04 pm

Abina and the Important Men, a Graphic History is an unusual book which has been attracting a great deal of attention in academia in the U.S. In the archives in Ghana, historian Trevor Getz found the handwritten record of a court case, dated 10 November 1876. The plaintiff, a young Asante woman called Abina, brought the case before a British magistrate in Cape Coast, in what was then the Gold Coast, now Ghana. She claimed that she had been enslaved and brought the case against her owner. She lost the case but by escaping to Cape Coast had already gained her freedom.
Getz invited graphic artist Liz Clarke to create a 75-page graphic novel on the basis of this document. It can only be called a novel because they had to fill in many gaps, using their imagination and Getz's historical knowledge and expertise.
Getz supplements the transcript and the graphics with a chapter on the historical context and a reading guide in which he asks questions like 'Whose Story Is This?', 'Is this a "True" Story?' and 'Is This "Authentic" History?' He then goes on to suggest how the book might be used in teaching World History at different levels. (I've seen somewhere that it is being used in over 100 American universities.) Finally Getz discusses texts for further reading, covering Slavery and Abolition, Colonialism, Gender and African History.
Trevor Getz is Professor of History at San Francisco State University. Abina is published by Oxford University Press.
This book raises all sorts of issues at the intersection of academic history and historical fiction. I cannot recommend it too highly, especially to writers of historical fiction.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue July 10th, 2012, 10:57 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I know there is one about Joan of Arc.[/quote]That would be Joan of Arc and Her Marching Orders (Horribly Famous). I have it and it's a hoot!

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”