Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Parody Lightfoot and the Bane of Time by Robin Von Bock

Gordopolis
Reader

Parody Lightfoot and the Bane of Time by Robin Von Bock

Post by Gordopolis » Tue March 20th, 2012, 3:12 pm

A cracking little find this, in the mould of C.S.Lewis or Roald Dahl, but with a modern humour and style. It's not strictly historical, but it heavily involves time travel and fantasy.

Charlie seems like a normal 13 year old girl at first, with a know-it-all older sister and an annoying brother, then they find a rip in time...

The world Charlie finds herself cast into is a mind-bending twist on what we think of a 'reality' and it really took me back to my first readings of classics like 'The Chronicles of Narnia' and 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', and there is a really strong sense of adventure throughout that keeps you reading 'just another page'. I don't want to spoil the story, but I will say that the ending is particularly tense and eventful!

Also, the narrative is written from the first person point of view of Charlie, and the author proves to be masterful in conveying her adventure in a charming, witty and very genuine style, with subtle nods to famous films along the way. Indeed, some of the witticisms had me laughing out loud, and it's not often a book does that for me.

All in all, this has the hallmarks of a cracking read for younger and older audiences.

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”