Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Katy Moran

annis
Bibliomaniac

Katy Moran

Post by annis » Fri October 7th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Katy Moran's evocative series of Dark Age novels bring to mind Rosemary Sutcliff's work - they are marked by a similar powerful sense of time and place - a landscape which is a presence in its own right - and use of language and credible dialogue to build a believable past worldview. For Bloodline, her first novel, she has chosen to reflect the diversity of cultures and beliefs of 7th century post-Roman Britain by giving her hero, Essa, a mixed parentage - his father is a Celtic bard of Iceni tribal ancestry, his mother was a Anglian noblewoman. Essa, though clearly of his own time, will be recognizable to modern teenagers- he's a bright kid with issues; headstrong, quick-tempered and impulsive, prone to acting before he thinks. He's driven by anger resulting from unresolved conflict about his father, whom he loves but can't forgive for, as he sees it, abandoning him as a child. Only later will he recognise with hindsight that this "abandonment" was an act of loving sacrifice on his father's part.

The prickly, complex relationship between father and adolescent son lies at the heart of Bloodline, and also its sequel, Bloodline Rising, where, as is sadly so often true of real life, we see Essa make all the same mistakes in dealing with his bright, gifted son as his own father made with him.

Katy wrote Bloodline when she was still a student and is very sympathetic to the aspirations of young authors. She does a lot of class visits and provides helpful starting points for would-be writers on her website. She was herself inspired to set her novel in the Anglo-Saxon period when she was given a brooch which turned out to be a genuine Anglo-Saxon artefact. She talks about this in a short interview she did as a follow-up to my review of Bloodline

Interview with Katy Moran here:
http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Katy-Moran.html
Last edited by annis on Sat July 6th, 2013, 4:32 am, edited 23 times in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat October 8th, 2011, 4:30 am

I love the story of the brooch!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Manda Scott
Reader

Magical novel by an excellent author

Post by Manda Scott » Thu July 11th, 2013, 1:34 pm

I found this novel after the author moved to the next village along from me and we ended up doing an event together at the local literary festival: I bought Bloodlines and its sequel and am so glad that I did - both fantastic books.

so glad someone else enjoys them too...

manda

Bestselling author of
Boudica: Dreaming. INTO THE FIRE out in June 2015: Forget what you thought you knew, this changes everything.

[url=http:www.mandascott.co.uk]http:www.mandascott.co.uk[/url]

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri July 12th, 2013, 5:06 am

Katy popped up on Anthony Lawton's Rosemary Sutcliff website recently too - she made Anthony's day with her clever tweet about the misspelling of Sutcliff's name which is his constant bugbear: "No one could ever give @rsutcliff an E. Only ever A+" :)
Last edited by annis on Sat August 3rd, 2013, 7:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue August 6th, 2013, 1:16 pm

I made the boo boo of putting an 'e' at the end of Sutcliff not too long ago! :o

Now looking forward to reading Katy Moran's books...!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”