Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Choose your own Adventure

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Choose your own Adventure

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat March 5th, 2011, 11:24 am

I used to love these in basic school. In case you havent encountered them they were basically interactive books that were told in second person and offered the readers a chance to make choices to affect the way the stories ended.
they tended to feature subjects like fantasy and sci-fi more than HF but that seems more logical. but there always were a few time travel novels.

the endless quest ones were quite good as they often had a pre-teen protagonist (sometimes even a girl!) making choices in a fantasy world.

unfortunately, teachers hated these books and refused to accept them as book reports, even if I read every page and every possible conclusion. I guess since there were too many possible endings.

anybody else remember these?
Last edited by Kveto from Prague on Sat March 12th, 2011, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat March 5th, 2011, 3:53 pm

I remember them. In fact this week I had to inter library loan one for a teacher who want to do some type of project with one. However, I was never a big fan of them. I just like to read a story.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat March 5th, 2011, 4:27 pm

My son loved the choose your own adventure books. I probably have all of his somewhere in the attic.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat March 5th, 2011, 10:52 pm

These were all the rage when ny oldest son was a youngster. In fact I think I still have a collection of the Steve Jackson/Ian Livingstone Fighting Fantasy series somewhere!

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sun March 6th, 2011, 9:06 pm

I bought a bunch for my classroom, but the kids never really read them. I'm not sure why. Maybe they found the choices too overwhelming?

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Mon March 7th, 2011, 6:01 pm

I remember them. Nothing specific about any of them, at the moment. But I used to plot out every path to every ending on paper to make sure I hadn't missed anything. :)

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat March 12th, 2011, 6:49 pm

theres an entire website devoted to "gamebooks". I had no idea there were so many.

http://www.gamebooks.org/list_series.php

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sun March 13th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Ahh I used to really like these when I was a child, although now my memory of them is a bit hazy and I also can't remember anything specific. But I remember reading them over and over until I'd done nearly every possible ending... :p

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

real life gamebooks

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun January 29th, 2012, 3:32 pm

just found these. they look quite cool.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/node/26162# ... +Gamebooks

Written back in the 80s, these are historical "choose your own adventure" books. No time travel involved and what looks like decent enough history, it makes the reader a character in an important event. these the french revolution, 1066, English civil war, etc.

I only just had a look, but it looks like the decisions the readers make can basically put you on one side or the other of the events. In the 1066 book, the protagonist in a young norman baron living in England. It looks like he could wind up fighting on either side of the conflict based on his choices. And the American revolution one, it looks like you could wind up as either a rebel or loyalist.

Interesting stuff. i wish id have found them when i was young and into gamebooks. If you want to read any of them just click on the title.

SuzyQ
Scribbler

Post by SuzyQ » Fri February 3rd, 2012, 12:58 am

Wow, these bring me back. I used to love these books, but I would cheat by keeping my figure on the previous page so I could change my mind if I didn't like how my choice panned out. From my memory, some of those books were dark, with endings that involved death or endless wandering from getting lost.
Currently reading A Celt in Rome

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”