Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Choose your own Adventure

Gordopolis
Reader

Post by Gordopolis » Wed February 8th, 2012, 8:38 am

Good find :) . I remember these from when I was at school. They were mainly fantasy/adventure though, but I'd have loved a Roman/Greek/Byzantine era one.

I think these type of books can be a really good way to get younger folk into reading, so expanding the range to cover history, vampires etc is a neat idea.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed February 8th, 2012, 8:43 am

Good grief- I think I've still got the complete collection of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series buried somewhere in the depths of my many bookshelves- my oldest son was batty about back in the day when he was a kid. Maybe if I hang on to them long enough they'll become collector's items and I'll be able to fund my retirement by selling them off :)

GangsterFiction
Scribbler

Post by GangsterFiction » Sun June 10th, 2012, 4:47 pm

The whole "Choose Your Own Adventure" fad (fond memories of a misspent youth!) is actually enjoying a resurgence in popularity these days, with many of the old classics now available as apps for iOS & Android devices, and new systems have been developed by which authors can create 'interactive fiction' story-games (for web, apps and / or Kindle) without needing to be programmers as well.

I'm actually presently working on one such project, now that the readership trend for interactive fiction is more towards young adults and the more mature, rather than children.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here so if anyone would like to know more about the development systems available, please feel free to PM me.

-Bob
Last edited by GangsterFiction on Sun June 10th, 2012, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPHoldstock
Currently reading: Between books...
Interest in HF: Love of medieval history.
Edward Rutherford probably first HF
Favourite HF book: The Greatest Knight - Elizabeth Chadwick
Preferred HF: Medieval

Re: Choose your own Adventure

Post by JPHoldstock » Wed April 20th, 2016, 8:42 pm

I met Steve Jackson at a roleplay convention a couple of years ago. Has tabletop gaming not taken over from them?

I do love the historically accurate ones. I ran my own game based in 1199 and included real characters like King John and William Marshal. It was great fun.

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”