Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

2011 YA Historical Fiction Challenge

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

2011 YA Historical Fiction Challenge

Postby Margaret » Sun January 2nd, 2011, 10:53 pm

I just stumbled across a YA Historical Fiction Challenge at the YA Bliss website. Looks like a very healthy number of folks have signed up for it! I signed up myself, at the 10-book level, because I want to expand the YA section at HistoricalNovels.info this year so it includes all the categories in the adult section.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon January 3rd, 2011, 2:53 am

I signed up. Sounds like fun. :) Second level for me too.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Mon January 3rd, 2011, 3:09 am

I'm participating in this one too. I'm starting at the intro level since I didn't want to be overly ambitious - but we'll see how things go :) I need to read more YA.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon January 3rd, 2011, 3:27 am

Could you guys please post the books you read. I'd be interested. Thanks.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.

http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Mon January 3rd, 2011, 9:49 pm

Could you guys please post the books you read.

I'll try to remember to do this, Divia. Meanwhile, here are the YA books I read in 2010 (maybe some in late 2009 - time flies by so fast nowadays):

Heather, Oak and Olive by Rosemary Sutcliff (really 3 stories - see review)
The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff (review)
The Legend of the Wandering King by Laura Gallego Garcia (review)
The King's Arrow by Michael Cadnum (review)
Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman (review)
Good Masters! Sweet Ladies by Laura Amy Schlitz and Robert Byrd (review)
Pagan's Crusade by Catherine Jinks (review)
The Book of the Maidservant by Rebecca Barnhouse (review)
The Raging Quiet by Sherryl Jordan (review)
Anna of Byzantium by Tracy Barrett (review)
The Stolen One by Suzanne Crowley (review)
The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, #1, by M.T. Anderson (review)
Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (review)
The Fetch by Laura Whitcomb (review)
Annexed by Laura Dogar (review)
I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jade by Diane Lee Wilson (review)

Gosh, I had no idea I had read so many! Guess I shouldn't have too much trouble with the challenge. The YA's tend to be quick, fun reads. Even the boring ones are a lot less boring than a boring adult novel. My favorites were The Eagle of the Ninth, Pagan's Crusade, The Book of the Maidservant, and Chains (though if I had read Chains when I was thirteen, I probably would have had nightmares for a week). I was less than enthused with a couple that have won wild critical acclaim: Catherine, Called Birdy and Good Masters! Sweet Ladies. The protagonist in the first is a delight, but I found the plot very sketchy. I got antsy waiting for something exciting to happen, and I thought teen and preteen readers would probably get even more impatient. The latter is a collection of verse and short dialogue pieces that are really designed to be performed by a group of students of varying ages; I didn't think it worked all that well as a book to read from cover to cover, though it has a lot of charm.

plus, Annis contributed reviews of

Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve (review)
Bonnie Dundee by Rosemary Sutcliff (review)
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

rebecca191
Reader

Postby rebecca191 » Mon January 10th, 2011, 9:56 am

I signed up too a while ago, I signed up to read at least 15 but I am sure I will read more. Here is my list of what I hope to read or have read already. A small number of the titles are historical fantasy as they are allowed for this challenge but most are regular historicals.

http://rebeccasbookblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/ya-historical-fiction-challenge.html

if you want to check back I am going to keep it updated. I didn't keep a list from last year but if you look back through my blog you can see reviews of some of the YA historicals I read in 2010.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kveto from Prague » Mon January 10th, 2011, 6:54 pm

ive been leaning toward YA lately. mostly because it seems to cover areas im more interested in. And Margaret makes a great point. When YA fiction is bad its still better than bad adult HF.

The two books I read last year by Geoffrey Trease were as good as any adult HF out there.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Postby Alisha Marie Klapheke » Mon January 10th, 2011, 7:39 pm

I'm going to check out that challenge as well. I've never participated in one and it sounds like fun.

Feona

Postby Feona » Sat February 19th, 2011, 11:07 am

Just spotted this thread, with its mentions of Geoffrey Trease and Rosemary Sutcliffe, and went off into a bout of nostalgia! These authors were among my favourites when I was younger. I'm off to the local public library this afternoon with a friend, so I'll see if there are any available. Thanks for reminding me.

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”