Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical fiction for 8-10... long shot I know.

Jack
Reader

Post by Jack » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 2:00 am

WELL OF SACRIFICE by Chris Eboch-maybe a year or two further down the road, but not if they're mature for their years.
It has an adolescent girl as the heroine.

Suzanne Crowley
Scribbler

Post by Suzanne Crowley » Wed August 26th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Howabout Carolyn Meyer's earlier historicals? She does a series of Tudor Queen's - young chapter books.

maggie anton
Scribbler

Post by maggie anton » Mon November 30th, 2009, 8:42 am

[quote=""Ash""]Oh yes; I loved HF at that age. One of my favorites was One of a Kind Family, a series about a Jewish famiy started in the early 1900s. I also remember reading a fascinating novel about Daniel Boone and Marie Antoinette (actually it was about her daughter) but this was back in the 60s and I am sure there are others out there.

There is also the American Girl series, tho I have heard them disparged for one reason or another. But I think thats the target audience.

My neice is just a little older and probably has read some others, I'll check with her.[/quote]
I loved the ALL OF A KIND FAMILY series when I was growing up in the 1950's. The author is Sydney Taylor. Readers who liked these books may appreciate RASHI'S DAUGHRTER: SECRET SCHOLAR, the YA adaption of my adult historical series. My publisher, JPS, suggests it's for ages 9-14.

Maggie Anton
http://www.rashisdaughters.com

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Fri August 13th, 2010, 2:31 pm

[quote=""zsigandr""]My daughter was 9 when she started to read The Royal Diaries and she loves them. Here is some info http://www.scholastic.ca/titles/royaldiaries.
Andrea[/quote]

It's a good series, except for the one about Cleopatra, which is culturally and historically fraught with problems.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Radical Red

Post by rockygirl » Fri August 13th, 2010, 2:33 pm

She could read "Radical Red" by Duffy.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat August 14th, 2010, 9:33 am

Here is a link to a reasonable list of historical fiction for children. They are mostly about British history though and devised for the English curriculum.

http://sherbrooke.ndo.co.uk/s/h/sherbro ... y/cont.htm

I am not sure if it mentions Cynthia Harnett's: A Load of Unicorn and The Woolpack but they are the ones I most remember.

I'll second the suggestion of A Cue for Treason by Trease - the characters from this novel appear again in later ones.

As far as Rosemary Sutcliff is concerned my favourite was always Flowers of Adonis but I didn't find it until I was in my mid-teens so it may be for an older child but it does cover aspects of ancient Greek history rather than Roman which makes a change.

There are also The Lady Grace Mysteries set in Tudor England

Tales of Robin Hood and the Myths told for children always tend to be good value.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun August 29th, 2010, 7:43 pm

I have discovered that a Cue For Treason is available free in PDF at archive. org.

Here is the link:

http://www.archive.org/details/cuefortreason00treauoft

I am surprised to find it because if I understand the copyright legislation (at least in the EU), copyright lasts for 70 years after the author's death -- in GT's case 1998 but I might have got that wrong.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue May 22nd, 2012, 1:59 pm

I'm looking for some good old ebooks for my 6 year old daughter. She loves fairy tales and anything with princesses. Older stuff that I can download onto my kindle is best since we go through books quickly.

Her favourite books are Heidi and The Secret Garden.

Thanks.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue May 22nd, 2012, 6:48 pm

Hmm... A lot of older children's books that aren't in the public domain have fallen in the cracks and haven't been digitized yet. I'm thinking of books like Thurber's The Thirteen Clocks and authors like Astrid Lindgren, Lucy Boston, etc. Lindgren's Noisy Village books are good for historical kiddie lit. I think at least some of Mary Norton's wonderful Borrower books are available in Kindle format now. For more ideas, you can also look at the books included in the New York Review Children's Collection (a few of these might be Kindlized, but many of them are still only available in print format). My daughter went through an Esther Averill phase, loving all the cat books.

Some in the public domain I can think of that should be available for free and/or as Kindles:
*Padraic Colum's The King of Ireland's Son (one of my favorites)
*Many of Edith Nesbit's books
*George MacDonald's children's books such as The Princess and the Goblin
*Just So Stories by Kipling
*Andrew Lang's fairy tale collection

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”