Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical fiction for boys 10-15

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 1:51 am

Thank you for all your suggestions! My son is now 10 and loves history! (guess which parent he takes after, eh?) He was trying to get through a simplified version of "The Three Musketeers" but it was still too difficult for him. So I appreciate all your great recommendations, since this is new territory for me, I have no idea what boys like to read. At that age I was reading Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie...not exactly enthralling reads for a boy!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 7:33 am

Try something like King Solomon's Mines, or Prisoner of Zenda.

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 3:29 pm

[quote=""Volgadon""]Try something like King Solomon's Mines, or Prisoner of Zenda.[/quote]

Good suggestion, thanks!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed December 10th, 2008, 6:44 pm

[quote=""Volgadon""]One YA I remeber reading at 10 was the Bronze Bow. The action takes place where I live, so it was great seeing that in a novel.[/quote]
I just read The Bronze Bow this past Sunday for the first time since I was 12 or so. I spied it on a neighbor's shelf after a cookie swap party and promptly borrowed it. Elizabeth George Speare created an amazing story about rebellion, redemption, the emotional power of hate and love, sacrifice and tight bonds of friendship. The story and its fictional characters are set very convincingly amid the religious laws and social/secular dictates of Roman ruled Palestine/Israel. I was very moved by Speare's descriptions of Jesus Christ and His followers and how they interacted with the fictional young adults.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu December 11th, 2008, 1:28 am

For a younger child "King Solomon's Mines" can be a bit much. I enjoyed reading it as a child, but when I started reading it to my sons at about 8 and 10, they found it way too scary, especially when we got to the bit where the evil old woman randomly chooses warriors to be killed as wizards. I must have been a blood-thirsty little beast- i don't rcall it upsetting me too much, though I found that scene with the slowly closing stone door pretty nerve-wracking- would they make it out in time?!

One thing which was a big success at maybe a year or two earlier was Rudyard Kipling. They loved "The Jungle Stories" and I couldn't tell you how mmany times I had to read "Rkki-tikki-tavi"

Something kids love is a shared reading aloud of a book. If you think a book might be a bit difficult for a kid to read on their own, you read some of it and they read some of it. It takes the pressure off them and is a fun thing to do for all of you. Even older children still enjoy doing this- I think that often we stop reading to our kids as soon as they can read themselves, which is a pity.
Last edited by annis on Thu December 11th, 2008, 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Caveowl
Scribbler

The first HF

Post by Caveowl » Thu December 11th, 2008, 3:20 am

I recall reading was "Midshipman Hornblower."
Others, later enjoyed,
Avi -- Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
Gary Paulsen -- Soldier's Heart (Have you tried Paulsen's "Hatchett?"
Mary Stewart -- Crystal Cave
Robb White -- Death Watch

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Thu December 11th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Of course the old witch was scary and ever so evil, but that helped make the story exciting!!!

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue January 6th, 2009, 12:56 am

I'm in the middle of Harold Keith's Rifles for Watie and I think boys in this age group would love this. It depicts a part of the American Civil War I don't often see covered, that of the participation of the divided Cherokee Indian Nation in Oklahoma and the battles that took place in Missouri and Arkansas.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Tue January 6th, 2009, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forskande
Scribbler

Post by Forskande » Wed February 25th, 2009, 6:58 pm

I liked Freedom Crossing by Margaret Goff Clark
From the girl's point of view, but good if he doesn't mind. Abou slavery in the south.

The Moonshiner's Son - Carolyn Reeder
About a boy who makes moonshine with his dad, until a preacher moves into town with his wife and daughter.

Nothing to Fear - Jackie French Koller (super, super good. Told from Danny's point of view takes place during the Depression)

The Robber and Me - Josef Holub
It's been awhile sincce I read this, but I remember it was good lol

Shades of Grey - Carolyn Reeder
shortly after Civil war ends, William has to go live with relatives he doesn't know well. Really, really good.

The Vikings - Elizabeth Janeway
Portrays the Vikings as real, civilized people which I appreciated.

I hope I helped. :D

Hunter
Scribbler

Post by Hunter » Thu February 26th, 2009, 1:14 am

When I was 10, my English class read two books that have stayed with me all these years: Escape from Warsaw and My Brother Sam Is Dead.

Hunter

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”