Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical fiction for boys 10-15

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Historical fiction for boys 10-15

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu August 28th, 2008, 12:13 am

I have two nephews I am supposed to keep in reading material, and one has developed a taste for HF thanks to Rosemary Sutcliffe's books. He liked Mark of the Horse Lord and Warrior Scarlet. Now I am racking my brains trying to remember what is in books I read long ago.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu August 28th, 2008, 12:33 am

Well lets see. These maybe a little old..but who knows. I'm not sure what the reading level on your nephews are

Boy in the Stripped PJs
Fallen Angels about the Vietnam War
Amaryllis
Innocent Soldier
I had Seen Castles
Black Duck
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu August 28th, 2008, 10:11 am

Catherine Jinks has a series set during the Crusades that might fit the bill.

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Sun September 7th, 2008, 7:59 pm

If he liked Mark of the Horselord, has he tried Eagle of the Ninth and the Silver Branch?

Ronald Welch did a series of books about members of the same family who got involved in just about every battle in British history, right up to the Second World War! They're quite hard to find now, but worth the effort.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun September 7th, 2008, 8:17 pm

[quote=""Eigon""]If he liked Mark of the Horselord, has he tried Eagle of the Ninth and the Silver Branch?
[/quote]
I sent him those, too, but he hasn't read them yet. I tried a GA Henty novel, but couldn't get through the nineteenth-century style myself, so I figured my nephew wouldn't like it much either.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon September 8th, 2008, 8:44 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Catherine Jinks has a series set during the Crusades that might fit the bill.[/quote]

These are wonderful! The first one, Pagan's Crusade, is probably the most accessible. I'd recommend them to adults as well, although they are quirky and a bit left field.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Tue September 9th, 2008, 3:00 pm

It wasn't that long ago that I was 15 (that was only 2002!), but at that age I think most boys have somewhat grown out of what would be labeled as "young adult." Most would be more than able to handle adult fiction. If they're anything like me and like to read the sorts of things I like turn them onto Bernard Cornwell, Conn Iggulden or Simon Scarrow.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:55 pm

[quote=""Alaric""]It wasn't that long ago that I was 15 (that was only 2002!), but at that age I think most boys have somewhat grown out of what would be labeled as "young adult." Most would be more than able to handle adult fiction. If they're anything like me and like to read the sorts of things I like turn them onto Bernard Cornwell, Conn Iggulden or Simon Scarrow.[/quote]

I would agree. Thinking back to when I was fifteen, I would have read Cornwell, Igguldon and Scarrow (okay, I'm a girl but I like guy stuff too). I was certainly reading adult historical romp fiction by that age - such as the Angelique novels or the grown up Mary Sutcliffes and the Mary Stewarts.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat September 13th, 2008, 2:53 am

I'd also suggest Stephen Lawhead's books- mostly historical with some fantasy which doesn't show up in all his books. I'd think his books about the Robin Hood legend would be a good place to start -"Hood" and "Raven". There is a third one yet to come. He might also like "Byzantium".
Judson Roberts has written a couple of books with a Viking background which are are considered YA/ Adult crossover.He's also added some educational material about Viking life and culture at http//www.strongbowsaga.cpm
It might depend on his reading age and emotional maturity as to what would suit him, but certainly I've found that teenage boys love Cornwell, Scarrow, iggulden, Valerio Massimo Manfredi and Robert Low (more Vikings)

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Wed September 17th, 2008, 12:17 pm

My son has just said he would like to read about the medival times as they have just covered that era in school. What would any of you recomend? He is 11.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”