Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical fiction for boys 10-15

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu May 14th, 2009, 12:47 am

posted by Lep62
(Pullman's) Sally Lockhart series is set in Victorian London and full of rip-roaring adventure. The first one is Ruby in the Smoke.
These books have also been made into a cracking TV series, called "The Sally Lockheart Mysteries", and starring Billie Piper as Sally.

Cuchulain
Scribbler

Time travel to ancient rome_ Green Bronze Mirror

Post by Cuchulain » Mon November 2nd, 2009, 6:02 pm

One book you might have read long ago is The Green Bronze Mirror By Lynne Ellison, long out of print but recently reprinted.

Karen is playing on the beach when she finds an ancient mirror buried in the sand. She looks into it, and is transported back in time to the Roman empire. Finding herself a slave, she faces many hair-raising adventures in her struggle to return to her own time.

Cuchulainn
Reader

Post by Cuchulainn » Mon November 2nd, 2009, 11:27 pm

[quote=""Cuchulain""]One book you might have read long ago is The Green Bronze Mirror By Lynne Ellison, long out of print but recently reprinted.

Karen is playing on the beach when she finds an ancient mirror buried in the sand. She looks into it, and is transported back in time to the Roman empire. Finding herself a slave, she faces many hair-raising adventures in her struggle to return to her own time.[/quote]

Hey wow! There are two Cuchulain(n)s here. Maybe I should change my user name and Cuchulain can, by association, inherit all of my old profound, and not-so-profound, posts!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri January 15th, 2010, 6:48 am

I've been hearing about Pagan's Crusade from you guys, so it was tops on my list of books to read when I started developing the YA section of my website. Good recommendation! One of those rare books that is pure fun from start to finish, plus a bit of extra food for thought. I've got two YA pages up now at HistoricalNovels.info, with more to come, and a review of Pagan's Crusade.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

hentytapes

Post by hentytapes » Tue January 11th, 2011, 5:47 pm

I believe that most 10-15 year old boys would LOVE the Henty novels. I believe this so much that I started an audio book business for the express purpose of recording these fantastic historical fiction novels. They are historically accurate, family safe, exciting and entertaining books that teach TONS about each historical period and event highlighted. If you have trouble with the language, please consider getting unabridged recordings of them at my site, http://JimHodgesAudioBooks.com

~ Jim

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue January 11th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Is the Scarlet Pimpernel too girly/too young?

I must admit I had moved on from them by about the age of 12 to The Three Musketeers and Georgette Heyer (definitely too girly),

However, going back to Sutcliff - don't forget about Flowers of Adonis -- about Alcebiades (Athens rather than Rome). It was my favourite because I studied Greek rather than Roman literature and I didn't discover it until I was 15,

I would recommend Ronald Welch (various periods of history) but they are so prohibitively expensive -- I won't even buy them again myself.

Here is the link to an edited down version of the Jonathan Nield Guilde to the Best Historical Fiction - and at least you can find these for free at Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1359
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon January 17th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Its not marked as YA so I'm not sure how it can be considered too young. Its a classic novel over 200 pages. Hell, most of my high school students wouldn't read it cause its too much book.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Fri July 1st, 2011, 3:14 am

For young boys perhaps The house of Windjammer by V.A Richardson?
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Manda Scott
Reader

Post by Manda Scott » Fri July 1st, 2011, 8:38 pm

I've just filed a review of NM Browne's 'Wolf Blood' which anyone who loves Sutcliffe will adore - but her 'Warrior' series (Warrior of Alavna, Warrior of Camlann, Warrior of Ethandune) is also brilliant - all set in ancient Britain: Roman, Arthurian and (I think - haven't read it yet -I'm saving it for when I need a real pick-me-up) Saxon. But has the real feel and flavour of Sutcliff.

For something a little different, there's also Alan Garner's 'Wierdstone of Brisingamen' and 'Moon of Gomrath' which I loved as a child and read soon after Sutcliff. And Mary Stewart's 'The Crystal Cave' and 'The Hollow Hills' which are still, to my mind, the 2nd best depictions of the Arthurian legend (the first is Sutcliff's 'Sword at Sunset')

Bestselling author of
Boudica: Dreaming. INTO THE FIRE out in June 2015: Forget what you thought you knew, this changes everything.

[url=http:www.mandascott.co.uk]http:www.mandascott.co.uk[/url]

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”