Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arthurian Literature

*Brittany*

Guinevere

Post by *Brittany* » Thu March 19th, 2009, 8:22 pm

Queen of camelot-
my all time fave king arthur book. I haven'r read many others that top that one. I'm actually having a hard time finding new guienevere books so any suggestions?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri March 20th, 2009, 8:07 am

You might like Parke Godwin's "Beloved Exile", the sequel to Firelord". It's the story of the widowed Guinevere.

*Edit
Persia Woolley wrote a trilogy about Guinevere
Child of the Northern Spring
Queen of the Summer Stars
The Legend in Autumn
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/persia-woolley/
Last edited by annis on Fri March 20th, 2009, 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Mon March 30th, 2009, 12:49 am

Gillian Bradshaw's Hawk of May trilogy is very good, although not as well known. The third book focuses on Gwenevere.

And then if I can shamelessly self-promote here :) , I actually have a new book coming out next month--my first--that centers on Gwenevere's daughter. The title is Twilight of Avalon (published by Simon and Schuster), and it's a retelling of the Trystan and Isolde legend. My website is http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon March 30th, 2009, 2:28 am

Congratulations, Anna. Twilight of Avalon sounds delicious.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Mon March 30th, 2009, 10:29 pm

I've always really liked Avalon, by Stephen Lawhead. There is also a new Gwenhwyfar book written by Mercedes Lackey coming out October 9. Something to look forward to after reading Twilight of Avalon :)

rex icelingas
Reader

Post by rex icelingas » Wed April 1st, 2009, 1:42 pm

I loved the Jack Whyte Arthur series-ok there a guilty turn your brain off type of thing but very enjoyable,remember hes writing fantasy not History.He writes great action and gripping storylines,the love element often becomes akin to Erotica and seems out of place suddenly thrust in there.
He uses some awful names Syclla Titens (the adulteress)Equus(the Horsemaster)Big Powys(a stereotypical Welshman)Owain of the Caves(Owain Y Ogof?)
Dont think,Just enjoy

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed April 1st, 2009, 3:12 pm

Hey Rex.....I really liked Jack Whyte's Camulod series.....To me it more fiction then fantasy.....I agree his odd philosophical, names and erotica rants...are puzzling at times....Agree his action and overall story is keeps one interested....Cornwell and Whyte are up there as recent favorites......I will read almost anything when it comes to Arthur Rex.....including Stewart, Bradshaw, Sutcliffe, Holland, Godwin, Lawhead,etc.....

rex icelingas
Reader

Post by rex icelingas » Sat April 4th, 2009, 12:55 pm

I forgot Derek of Ravenglass,what a great name for late Antiquity `Dark age Derek`,cant say ive ever come across an ancient manuscript with `Ap Derek` on the end of it!

Ive never read Whyte`s crusade series but he can write a good page turner
It was an interesting turn to Have Lancelot as a Frank,The Lance Thrower was almost a stand alone but fitted in superbly to the series,I wonder if he will do more of that kind

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sun April 5th, 2009, 12:35 pm

Oh, who could forget Derek of Ravenglass? I was working with a mild-mannered colleague called Derek at the time I read that book, and it cracked me up every time I read the name. The great thing is that it's a Germanic derived name (Dutch form of German Theoderic) so that makes it even more incongrouous for a Brittonic warlord. Mind, I seem to remember he had a British peasant woman called Inga in one of the other books, so I guess that's fair warning not to get pedantic about his names :-)
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Jack Whyte

Post by chuck » Sun April 5th, 2009, 3:27 pm

:cool: [quote=""rex icelingas""]I forgot Derek of Ravenglass,what a great name for late Antiquity `Dark age Derek`,cant say ive ever come across an ancient manuscript with `Ap Derek` on the end of it!

Ive never read Whyte`s crusade series but he can write a good page turner
It was an interesting turn to Have Lancelot as a Frank,The Lance Thrower was almost a stand alone but fitted in superbly to the series,I wonder if he will do more of that kind[/quote]

I'm a flaming fan of Whyte....His Templar Series is quite good....The subject matter is a favorite of mine....But I admit the writing about the Templars is not quite as riveting as his "Camulod Series"....Check out his web site....I'm not sure where he going next......

Return to “Historical Fantasy”