Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Author Kara Dalkey

Cuchulain
Scribbler

Author Kara Dalkey

Post by Cuchulain » Tue April 30th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Has anyone read anything by Kara Dalkey? I have recently read her book Euryale: here is part of a review by P. J. Thompson from Amazon:-

I loved this book. Set in the Ancient Roman Republic, it also harkens back to Ancient Greek myth, bringing a human story to a legendary cursed woman: Euryale, who through no fault of her own, ran afoul of the goddess Athena many centuries earlier. As a consequence, she has to go through life veiled against the eyes of mortals, employing only blind and short-sighted servants. She has offered a handsome reward to any who can answer her question, "What can change stone into living flesh?" Many seek the reward through trickery, but one Chaldean philosopher approaches the question with seriousness.

This is also the story of Hispallus, a feckless Roman of prominent family who longs to make a great name for himself but lacks the character for true greatness. He has run afoul of an ex-slave named Daedalus, also through no fault of his own. Daedalus doesn't much care who has truly wronged him. He just wants someone to pay, ostensibly for a elaborate bridge. He's not above blackmail to get what he wants, but Hispallus lacks funds as well as the skills to succeed. In desperation, Hispallus seeks out Euryale, bringing the possibility of exposure and Roman law to her and those who serve her.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Euryale-Kara-Da ... ds=euryale

Ms. Dalkey has also written several historical fantasies about Heian Japan (e. g. The Nightingale, Little Sister and Genpei)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue April 30th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Euryale is the only book I've read by her and that was a long time ago. I remember wanting to try her Japanese novels, but this was back in the day before ebooks were readily available and her books were too much effort to find given everything else on the TBR. Hopefully more of her work will get digitized.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”