Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Speculating on Game of Thrones

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed May 16th, 2012, 2:30 am

I agree with you Mythica about Jon and I think Martin threw in a red herring by naming someone else. The question I have is if....
I also believe that the last book will be about the....
The character that also intrigues me is Bran and why he has been given some sort of 'sight,' and in some way he and Jon share this same ability though Jon is in denial with it.

Thanks everyone for letting me know how to work the spoiler thingy. I will now add it to word so I don't forget how to again :p I have a terrible memory when it comes to anything 'techy.'

Bec :)

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Wed May 16th, 2012, 3:02 am

Has anyone noticed things going on in the tv series (season 2) that didn't happen in Clash of Kings? I just saw an incident at the end of one of the episodes involving Daenarys that I don't recall happening in the book, something major.

And one thing that bothers me about Game of Thrones is people really putting bastards down even though it's not their fault that they are illegitimate. There's nothing they can do, so why put them down? How can people be so darn cruel?
Last edited by laktor on Wed May 16th, 2012, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed May 16th, 2012, 3:05 am

[quote=""laktor""]Has anyone noticed things going on in the tv series (season 2) that didn't happen in Clash of Kings? I just saw an incident at the end of one of the episodes involving Daenarys that I don't recall happening in the book, something major.[/quote]

Yes, I was scratching my head lastnight when it happened...But I do admit I skim Dany's chapters and so am not sure if they were in the book? It is where...
Is that what you refer to Laktor?

Bec :) PS: Can't wait to see what happens next week.

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Wed May 16th, 2012, 5:23 am

[quote=""rebecca""]Yes, I was scratching my head lastnight when it happened...But I do admit I skim Dany's chapters and so am not sure if they were in the book? It is where...
Is that what you refer to Laktor?

Bec :) PS: Can't wait to see what happens next week.[/quote]

Yep, that's what I'm referring to, Rebecca. I just finished Clash of Kings a couple weeks before Season 2 started on HBO. It wasn't a fast read for me, but I swear this didn't happen, so I'm very surprised the producers and writers did this. I wonder why? The story is good without them making things up. Wonder what Mr. Martin had to say?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed May 16th, 2012, 7:57 am

Yes, I thought that, too. I'm sure it wasn't in the book.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 16th, 2012, 8:52 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]Yes, I thought that, too. I'm sure it wasn't in the book.[/quote]

And I thought it as well! Pretty sure it wasn't in the book. I did get fed up with Dany wittering on though.

They've also altered some of Jaime's scenes too, although I think the changes don't do any harm, I enjoyed his scenes and it was nice, in a weird way :) , to see him back on form. I noticed they've also altered the Theon/Bran/Rickon storyline -going by this week's final scene - and sort of done it backwards (you'll know what I mean if you've read the book) but I did wonder how they would get round that as it's pretty strong stuff in the book.

And I'm also sure that, in the book,
Last edited by Madeleine on Wed May 16th, 2012, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Wed May 16th, 2012, 1:21 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]I agree with you Mythica about Jon and I think Martin threw in a red herring by naming someone else. The question I have is if....
[/quote]

Yeah, there's debates about whether
There's definitely been a number of inconsistencies in the second season from the book. It's annoying when I don't think there's good reason for it. Which is most of the time since I think the books are pretty much perfect, lol. But I also have a bad memory so I don't always know what they've changed!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 16th, 2012, 2:02 pm

They have made a few what I think are fairly minor changes from the book, but I don't think they make much difference overall.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed May 16th, 2012, 4:57 pm

I agree with you, Madeleine, about Jon and Ygritte. There have been a few changes. The always have to meddle, don't they??
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Wed May 16th, 2012, 8:36 pm

The actress is nothing like how I pictured Ygritte - she's not... well... wild enough.
The woman playing Osho definitely suits a wildling role better.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”