Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Raymond E Feist

Wolfshead
Scribbler

Post by Wolfshead » Fri September 28th, 2012, 11:55 am

[quote=""marklord""]Sometimes books are much better the first time round!

I haven't read Magician, but I have always toyed with the idea of trying it - I've never seen it on a library shelf and have never felt the urge to risk buying it, so that's why I haven't read it yet.

Is it the kind of book that is a good read when you are young and new to fantasy or could a cynical 40 year old enjoy it too?

[/quote]

Hmm, I'm not sure Mark. I was only about 20 odd when I read Magician, but I'd read a lot of fantasy by then, so I think you would probably enjoy it first time around. It just seems to be my experience recently, every book I re-read years later seems much worse than I remember it. :(

marklord
Scribbler

Post by marklord » Wed May 14th, 2014, 10:00 am

Just curious about Feist - are his books historical in any way - or are they really fantasy set in a pseudo-medieval society?
Editor of Alt Hist, the new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History.

Writer of Historical Fantasy, visit my site for more details.

Latest novels:
Hell has its Demons (Historical Fantasy)
By the Sword's Edge (Volume 1 of a serialized novel - Medieval Action and Adventure)

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed May 14th, 2014, 10:05 am

[quote=""marklord""]Just curious about Feist - are his books historical in any way - or are they really fantasy set in a pseudo-medieval society?[/quote]

Yes, definitely the latter, not the former. And even then, nothing resembling medieval society that closely (not like GRR Martin, for example). Though, granted it's a long time since I read him. I loved "Magician" but the others paled by comparison if I recall correctly.

You might enjoy Guy Gavriel Kay.

marklord
Scribbler

Post by marklord » Wed May 14th, 2014, 10:55 am

Yes I've listened to Tigana as an audio book and plan to read some other Kay books soon.

Would like to try Magician though.
Editor of Alt Hist, the new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History.

Writer of Historical Fantasy, visit my site for more details.

Latest novels:
Hell has its Demons (Historical Fantasy)
By the Sword's Edge (Volume 1 of a serialized novel - Medieval Action and Adventure)

michaelbolan
Currently reading: The Grotto's Secret by Paula Wynne
Interest in HF: History got screwed up for me in school, so I dropped the subject as soon as I could. It was only when I was older that I realised it wasn't history that was the issue, it was history teachers... Now I'm just trying to get caught up on what I've missed over the last two millennia.
Favourite HF book: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Preferred HF: Many: classical civilisations (the Graeco-Roman era), the Dark Ages (northern Europe) and of course, post-Renaissance Early Modern Age - the time of discovery.

Re: Raymond E Feist

Post by michaelbolan » Tue October 18th, 2016, 10:37 am

OK, I'm biased. If you have a problem with me being a great fan of Feist, then you don't need to read any more.

When I was 12, I went through the most literary rebellion of any tweenager - I stopped reading. Up to that point, I had been a precocious devourer or words, reading way way way beyond my understanding of the topics covered in the books I was reading. Then I stopped. From one day to the next, I ceased to read. My mother ended up bargaining with me - any book I wanted to read, she would buy, just as long as I would read it. And still I refused.

Raymond Feist's Magician saved my life.

I don't know if it was the cover design, the blurb, the concept or even just the coming-of-age nature of the book, but I picked it up and within a week was once again an avid reader. The scope of his concepts and his world-building puts him at the very pinnacle of his genre, alongside the greats. His writing's not perfect, you can poke holes in some of his storylines, and the whole series (all 30 or so books) goes up and down like a rollercoaster, but it all came from one man's mind.

And you have to admit, that's pretty impressive.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”