Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Raymond E Feist

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Raymond E Feist

Post by rebecca » Tue February 21st, 2012, 1:05 am

Can anyone tell me if they have read this authors novels and what their opinion is? His latest books are:

A Kingdom Besieged: Chaoswar Saga Book 1

A Crown Imperilled: Chaoswar Saga Book 2

I don't want to read another author who writes and writes sequels after sequels while thre reader is left waiting years to find out the end. In other words though I enjoyed reading the Game of Thrones books...I wouldn't want to tread the same ground twice.

Bec :)

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Wed February 22nd, 2012, 2:47 am

I didn't really care for his original riftwar series. But he did an amazing follow up (with Janny Wurtz)

The first one is Daughter of the Empire

This trilogy is set on the other side of the Riftwar (it isn't necessary to have read the first, rather generic trilogy) in a very Asian-y feeling setting. The heroine, moments away from taking holy vows, finds that her brother and father are dead, and she is now head of the family.

She has to navigate her family fortunes through the labrynthine political intruiges of the empire, all the while surviving her powerful rivals.

It is excellent.

Two of my favorite fantasy series...

The Dragon Prince and Dragon Star Series - Melanie Rawn

I love these two trilogies. It is a little bit polyana, especially when compared to Game of Thrones. But very well written, great characters.

The Black Company - Glen Cook

This series is set in a mercenary company. It is pretty gritty and dark.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed February 22nd, 2012, 5:03 am

[quote=""The Czar""]I didn't really care for his original riftwar series. But he did an amazing follow up (with Janny Wurtz)

The first one is Daughter of the Empire

This trilogy is set on the other side of the Riftwar (it isn't necessary to have read the first, rather generic trilogy) in a very Asian-y feeling setting. The heroine, moments away from taking holy vows, finds that her brother and father are dead, and she is now head of the family.

She has to navigate her family fortunes through the labrynthine political intruiges of the empire, all the while surviving her powerful rivals.

It is excellent.

Two of my favorite fantasy series...

The Dragon Prince and Dragon Star Series - Melanie Rawn

I love these two trilogies. It is a little bit polyana, especially when compared to Game of Thrones. But very well written, great characters.

The Black Company - Glen Cook

This series is set in a mercenary company. It is pretty gritty and dark.[/quote]

Thanks for responding Czar :) I will look up the books you have mentioned. I don't mind how the author writes their stories so long as the characters grip you and that they seem 'real'...It can be dark and gritty or lighter, so long as the story line is credible I'll read it. :D

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed February 22nd, 2012, 1:13 pm

I was a huge Riftwar fan, but for some reason never got into his other books. My DH, on the other hand, thought Riftwar was ok, but really took off with his books after Daughter. I think he read some of his other books but don't remember which - just that he considers Feist one of his favorite fantasy writiers.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu February 23rd, 2012, 1:59 am

[quote=""Ash""]I was a huge Riftwar fan, but for some reason never got into his other books. My DH, on the other hand, thought Riftwar was ok, but really took off with his books after Daughter. I think he read some of his other books but don't remember which - just that he considers Feist one of his favorite fantasy writiers.[/quote]

I will probably start with Daugther of the Empire first and see how I like his writing style.
I am also going to buy Black Company books combined into one book...it's cheaper that way.

I do wish more of these books were in Kindle though.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Thu February 23rd, 2012, 7:27 pm

[quote=""The Czar""]I didn't really care for his original riftwar series. But he did an amazing follow up (with Janny Wurtz)[/quote]

Whereas I am the opposite! Magician, his very first book, was/is an amazing read! One of the best fantasy books I read way back when.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu February 23rd, 2012, 7:38 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]Whereas I am the opposite! Magician, his very first book, was/is an amazing read! One of the best fantasy books I read way back when.[/quote]

I absolutely loved Magician too, though I read it maybe 20 years now, I guess. I read the rest of that first Riftwar series from Silverthorn to The King's Buccaneer, which were okay but not great. I also read the trilogy with Janny Wurts starting with The Daughter of the Empire, which was better but not as good as I'd hoped from the part of that story in Magician.

I've always meant to read all his various other series but never got around to it.

I would definitely suggest starting with Magician. It's the start of it all and works as a standalone as well.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun February 26th, 2012, 12:48 am

Raymond E. Feist also wrote a few standalones with other authors known as Legends of the Riftwars, and one of my favourite Feist novels is one of these, written with William Forstchen, and called Honored Enemy- very moving.

Janny Wurts has written a great series of her own - [IThe Wars of Light and Shadow[/I]

Wolfshead
Scribbler

Post by Wolfshead » Thu September 27th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Like Ben, I thought Magician was a fantastic book and started reading/collecting his books as a result. However, I lost interest in them and, when I re-read Magician a few years later it had lost its magic. I hate it when that happens :(

marklord
Scribbler

Post by marklord » Fri September 28th, 2012, 10:41 am

Sometimes books are much better the first time round!

I haven't read Magician, but I have always toyed with the idea of trying it - I've never seen it on a library shelf and have never felt the urge to risk buying it, so that's why I haven't read it yet.

Is it the kind of book that is a good read when you are young and new to fantasy or could a cynical 40 year old enjoy it too?

I am a fan of epic fantasy, but find the works of Eddings and Jordan too simplistic and dull for my tastes, although I am a great fan of Tolkien, Martin and more recently Bakker.
Editor of Alt Hist, the new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History.

Writer of Historical Fantasy, visit my site for more details.

Latest novels:
Hell has its Demons (Historical Fantasy)
By the Sword's Edge (Volume 1 of a serialized novel - Medieval Action and Adventure)

Return to “Historical Fantasy”