Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Speculative Fiction

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu May 2nd, 2013, 10:28 pm

[quote=""Cuchulain""]This one has been done before!
Byzantium's Crown & sequels by Susan Schwartz

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Byzantiums-Crow ... %27s+crown[/quote]

Wow looks interesting! This author seems to be seeing things in a totally different way than mine is being planned though.

marklord
Scribbler

Post by marklord » Wed May 14th, 2014, 10:05 am

I think one of my favourite alternate history books is Eifelheim by Michael Flynn - aliens land in a medieval German village - not as wacky as it might sound and very well done.

Unfortunately Michael Flynn doesn't seem to have written anything else historical, but this is a very well researched what-if novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eifelheim
Editor of Alt Hist, the new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History.

Writer of Historical Fantasy, visit my site for more details.

Latest novels:
Hell has its Demons (Historical Fantasy)
By the Sword's Edge (Volume 1 of a serialized novel - Medieval Action and Adventure)

Tony119
Currently reading: In a Dark Wood Wandering
Interest in HF: Have always been drawn to HF, spanning vaguely romantic royalty stuff, Irish rebellion novels, material set in Egypt, India, France, Russia.
Favourite HF book: The Wolf Hall series
Preferred HF: Not really but I've recently become drawn to serious alternative history works, an outstanding example being Philip K Dick's Man in the High Castle, and I recently published my own alternate history ebook.

Re: Speculative Fiction

Post by Tony119 » Fri February 11th, 2022, 12:02 am

I am a fan

I particularly loved Philip K Dick's Man in the High Castle in which the Nazi Reich and Japan won the war and partitioned the USA between them (it is now a series available on Amazon Prime which took the story much further in time than Dick). It gave me a very strong sense of the reality of life in the Japanese-held west coast the and Greater Nazi Reich in the east and centre. The novel features an author who wrote a speculative what-if-the-Allies-had-won tale; a cute touch.

Alternate or alternative history can sometimes demand a detailed historical knowledge from the reader, which is a potential issue. But when done well it is great.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”