Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon August 8th, 2011, 1:14 am

Hee. Yep, thats the usual reaction. The one I loved was 'noooooooooo!!!' from a fellow poster when he finished the book.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon August 8th, 2011, 1:57 am

Vanessa--"Isn't one of the books in two parts?"

I just finished Storm of Swords lastnight (Sunday) it's a large book of 1,128 pages and at the back there is an extract of the character Cersei from 'A Feast for Crows.' I wonder if the book got chopped in half for U.K readers only. I bought the four set books from Amazon U.S.A. So I think it is OK to read the fourth one....*fingers crossed* lol.

Brenna--"I just finished the 3rd book. Holy crap! Oh boy. I cannot believe the twists and turns this story has taken. I'll wait until Bec has finished the third book before I say anything else but oh boy Bec are you in for some doozies in this book!"

Brenna I know-I know...But I have to tell you I was NOT a happy bunny!!! But one thing pleased me was Tyrions revenge....Smart play by Jamie to finally tell his brother the truth knowing that he would do what the kingslayer would not! Wake up Tyrion! Now Stannis has made Jon an offer he almost can't refuse. But I don't get why Samwell has his own chapters(they are snooze zzz worthy!). I am glad to see though that Brienne gets a voice in 'Feast for Crows.'...and we get an insight into that evil witch Cersei!

Ash--"The one I loved was 'noooooooooo!!!' from a fellow poster when he finished the book."

Ash I did more than yell noooo...I threw the book across the room LOL. I was so dang mad!!!! I left it there a full ten minutes before running over picking it up and finishing it! Grrrr sometimes what George Martin does boggles the mind...But why always the Starks?! And then to find out the mastermind behind it all-Setting family against family....A pox on the character lol.

But Martin is a genius because he hooks you right in and you simply HAVE to find out what happens next.

Now onto A Feast for Crows.

Bec :)

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Mon August 8th, 2011, 6:41 am

I can possibly help with someone's confusion as to whether there was 4 or 5 books published before A Dance with Dragons.

The 3rd book (Storm of Swords) which is the longest book so far, was published in 2 books when the "normal" sized paperback was released - it's too big to publish in one book. They're subtitled as "Steel and Snow" and "Blood and Gold".

So if you're getting them in Hardcover or "trade" (large size) paperback, there are 4 books before the current one, but if your getting them in the "normal" size, there are 5.

Anyway, it's been fun listening to the shrieks of frustration on this thread with the various things that have happened, and what has or hasn't been confirmed. I'm currently in "discussions" with SLOC as to what new things we have found out are importnt, and what things are red herrings. We both have very firm, and somehwat opposing, views. :D
And then my sister - who got me into the books to start with - has a different view of things as well, and the arguments we get into at family gatherings are complete head-scratchers fot the rest of the family.

I just live in this low-level fear that something will happen to Martin before the series finishes, and I'll never find out what happens to everyone! I met him last year at Worldcon (and hope to see him again this year), and for someone who is of an age of my dad, he looks a whole lot older!
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon August 8th, 2011, 8:35 am

Yes, you're right, Ejays, the third book is published in two parts but I don't know if that's only in the UK.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon August 8th, 2011, 9:21 am

I know he's not a main character but I love Bronn, lol - I love his sense of humor and he and Tyrion together are hilarious.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon August 8th, 2011, 11:34 am

[quote=""rebecca""]Vanessa--"Isn't one of the books in two parts?"

I just finished Storm of Swords lastnight (Sunday) it's a large book of 1,128 pages and at the back there is an extract of the character Cersei from 'A Feast for Crows.' I wonder if the book got chopped in half for U.K readers only. I bought the four set books from Amazon U.S.A. So I think it is OK to read the fourth one....*fingers crossed* lol.

Brenna I know-I know...But I have to tell you I was NOT a happy bunny!!! But one thing pleased me was Tyrions revenge....Smart play by Jamie to finally tell his brother the truth knowing that he would do what the kingslayer would not! Wake up Tyrion! Now Stannis has made Jon an offer he almost can't refuse. But I don't get why Samwell has his own chapters(they are snooze zzz worthy!). I am glad to see though that Brienne gets a voice in 'Feast for Crows.'...and we get an insight into that evil witch Cersei!

Ash--"The one I loved was 'noooooooooo!!!' from a fellow poster when he finished the book."

Ash I did more than yell noooo...I threw the book across the room LOL. I was so dang mad!!!! I left it there a full ten minutes before running over picking it up and finishing it! Grrrr sometimes what George Martin does boggles the mind...But why always the Starks?! And then to find out the mastermind behind it all-Setting family against family....A pox on the character lol.

Now onto A Feast for Crows.

Bec :) [/quote]

Oh I did worse than that, I ran downstairs after the one scene and yelled and screamed at my husband, then curled up with the puppy for an hour. Took a break for the night and then came back and finished it the next day. My husband was so bewildered by my reaction, he's working way harder to finish book 2 now.

I have to ask though-the epilogue...did anyone else go "No way!!" Holy crap!?

I have to take a break because my nerves have become a little frayed so I'm rereading SKP's When Christ and His Saints Slept.
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon August 8th, 2011, 3:00 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]I know he's not a main character but I love Bronn, lol - I love his sense of humor and he and Tyrion together are hilarious.[/quote]

I've only read the first book (second on hold at the library), but Tyrion is by far my favorite character. He's so complicated, but also takes the role of "truth teller."
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon August 8th, 2011, 7:42 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]I know he's not a main character but I love Bronn, lol - I love his sense of humor and he and Tyrion together are hilarious.[/quote]

I thought that too, they worked really well together in the TV show as well.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Tue August 9th, 2011, 12:36 am

My favourite character's Jaime - after the first book at least! :D
Second favourite is one that's not introduced until later, I was rather stressed when I thought they were dead, seeing as Martin has no qualms about killing off characters at the drop of a hat...

But Tyrion's a close favourite after that, right from when he tells Jon Snow some home-truths about what the Night Watch is really like, and pretty much tells him to grow up cos life's hard, and he's gonna have to deal with the choices he's made.

And of the characters one is "supposed" to like, I loathe Sansa early on, and even though she's improved because of things that have happened, she's still one of my least-favourites of the POV characters.

Brenna, did the puppy-cuddling incident happen late in the 3rd book -
. Don't run over the spoiler bit if you haven't finished the 3rd books cos it's such an OMG moment, I don't want to ruin it for people! :(
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue August 9th, 2011, 2:21 am

ejays17--"I can possibly help with someone's confusion as to whether there was 4 or 5 books published before A Dance with Dragons."....My favourite character's Jaime.."

Thanks for the info....I have already orderd 'Dance with Dragons' which should arrive any day and I have only just started 'Fear for Crows.' What an imagination Martin has but sometimes one just feels like....boxing his ears lol. You have courage in picking Jaime.I can't say he is my favourite but he is interesting and I like how the author now has given him his own voice(chapters)so one can get a better insight into his villianous mind which at times despite himself he does do the right thing. Isn't Martin a genius when it comes to fleshing out his characters? I think so. I am also with you on Sansa I actually felt sorry for Tyrion in having to put up with her!

Mythica--"I love his sense of humor and he and Tyrion together are hilarious."

I think the humour of Tyrion is essential. There has to be a balance between the dark villiany and at times pathos of many of the characters and with Tyrion and his friends the author got it right.

Brenna--"I ran downstairs after the one scene and yelled and screamed at my husband, then curled up with the puppy for an hour."

LOL Brenna you are hilarious but it is understandable. I threw the book across the room and longed to spend 5 minutes with author he would've been seeing stars by the time I finished with him. I simply did NOT see that coming and as I read I thought what the......before becoming completely unhinged LOL! BTW on a different note you will love SKP's 'When Christ and his Saints slept.' Absolutely brilliant book.

fljustice--"but Tyrion is by far my favorite character. He's so complicated, but also takes the role of "truth teller."

I feel the same. While I read the books it is Tyrions character that keeps me sane because Martin can be so ruthless when dealing with other characters...*starts sending vibes to Martin* :eek: Please leave Tyrion alive.....PULEASEEEEE! Or I will make the author eat an entire jar of vegemite(marmite in UK). lol :eek:

I also heard that the producers of the TV show are urging Martin to hurry up and write the end. I suppose they are planning on making the TV program a 3 season mini-series or perhaps 4. Great to hear that Natalie Dormer will play Margaery. When I first started reading her character I thought 'now there's a girl who hides her fangs behind a nice smile.' I would love to see her take on Cersei.

Bec :)

Return to “Historical Fantasy”