Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 1:53 pm

[quote=""Susan""]And it won't be the last time you are confused, but I am not sure you should have posted that without using the spoiler tags! There are more surprises in A Storm of Swords.[/quote]

yep thanks for the "hint" :p ; I've now got to that bit and suspected what had really happened.

If anyone dares let slip what happens in Storm... I won't be happy! :eek: ;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 6:33 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I'm reading A Clash of Kings on my Kindle. I've had to buy myself a copy of the paperback to study the list of characters, as I was getting a tad confused and found it a bit of a pain trying to locate them on my Kindle. The pros and cons of Kindles! I'm sure there is an easy way of doing but I can't work it out.[/quote]

I agree. It is not so easy to cross refer to cast lists and family trees on Kindle even with the hyperlinks.

I keep a master copy of all my Kindle books on a PC and in those sorts of circumstances, if I am reading at home, I keep the PC or iPad version open to refer to while actually reading the book from the Kindle. It doesn't cost me any more, so why not?
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 9:02 pm

Thanks, Mythica, but I still think it will be easier to refer to a paperback copy!

That's a good idea, SGM. I always have my ebooks downloaded direct to my Kindle so don't know if I would be able to download it to my laptop as well.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 9:33 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Thanks, Mythica, but I still think it will be easier to refer to a paperback copy!

That's a good idea, SGM. I always have my ebooks downloaded direct to my Kindle so don't know if I would be able to download it to my laptop as well.[/quote]

It doesn't matter which device you download to first. You just go to manage your Kindle, find the item you have downloaded to your Kindle and download it to any of your other registered devices (up to six). I swap between my reading devices depending on the ambient conditions and time of day. I prefer reading from the iPad at night but obviously can't read well (or at all) from it in bright sunshine.

I do usually download straight to my Kindle but I go back and redownload to my PC afterwards or simply download from the archive on Kindle for PC. For some reason, I prefer not to keep books I have read on my Kindle but I keep all my purchases on the PC so that I remember what I bought. I prefer not to buy from my Kindle if at all possible because it is too easy to make a mistake and I can't be bothered to check whether Amazon have actually reimbursed me as promised.
Last edited by SGM on Fri March 23rd, 2012, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat March 24th, 2012, 1:08 am

I am a complete technophobe, and I also cannot multi-task. When it comes to the GOT series, I have to read the books. I also choose favourite characters(I know TSK-Don't choose favourites)and tend to read their chapters while skimming the rest. But I do hate it when Martin seems to go a wandering in his plot, and spends copious amouns of paragraphs on non essential things.

Now as for what happens in Storms...Lemme tell you all..... :eek: :cool: I know just kidding!!! I have a warped sense of humour! :D :p ...The book I find the hardest was the one where Tyrion hardly gets a mention, that was hard going. Still can't wait for GOT S 2.

Bec :)

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed March 28th, 2012, 8:37 pm

I have just finished watching the DVD of the first series, which I have to say did not particularly grip me. I don't know why but I really wasn't wowed by it. It might be because I find Sean Bean as charismatic as an ironing board and wonder why Jon Snow had a perpetual look of startled constipation. Even Charles Dance was a bit lack-lustre but it is early days for him (I hope).

I am now listening to the audio version of the second book. It is read by the very very old British actor called Roy Dotrice (the father of the little girl in Mary Poppins). I cannot say that I am enjoying his narration. I'm not sure why -- or may be it just seems a little rushed.

However, rather perplexingly he has given Tyrian a Welsh accent. There is nothing wrong with that except it seems odd that none of the rest of the family have a Welsh accent.

I think I am going to have to read the book instead. I didn't read the first book before I watched the DVD and felt that I needed to move on further into the action before going back to read the first one, but I now wonder if I should just start reading from the beginning.
Last edited by SGM on Wed March 28th, 2012, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed March 28th, 2012, 10:01 pm

I'm reading A Clash of Kings and in my head Tyrion definitely doesn't have a Welsh accent. LOL. Surely if he had a Welsh accent, then Jaime and Cersei should have one, too? And why on earth would he have a Welsh accent - he doesn't come from Wales!!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu March 29th, 2012, 3:04 pm

SGM, I read the book first and really enjoyed it, and found that the TV series really brought it alive, although I agree that Sean Bean isn't the most expressive of actors, although I think he was quite well-cast in this and did the world-weary bit OK.

And a Welsh accent for Tyrion in the audio version? Doesn't make any sense at all!
I did read somewhere that Mark Addy and SB kept their native Northern accents for the TV series as their characters came from the North, which is fair enough, but Welsh - no offence to any Welsh people! - especially if he's the only one in his family who has that accent. This is one of the reasons why I'm not that keen on audio-books, as sometimes a voice can be so wrong.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu March 29th, 2012, 6:14 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I'm reading A Clash of Kings and in my head Tyrion definitely doesn't have a Welsh accent. LOL. Surely if he had a Welsh accent, then Jaime and Cersei should have one, too? And why on earth would he have a Welsh accent - he doesn't come from Wales!![/quote]

My point exactly. It is very incongruous.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu March 29th, 2012, 6:24 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]And a Welsh accent for Tyrion in the audio version? Doesn't make any sense at all!
I did read somewhere that Mark Addy and SB kept their native Northern accents for the TV series as their characters came from the North, which is fair enough, but Welsh - no offence to any Welsh people! - especially if he's the only one in his family who has that accent. This is one of the reasons why I'm not that keen on audio-books, as sometimes a voice can be so wrong.[/quote]

Actually the northern accents make sense to me and at least they are consistent.

Also (I can't remember his name but the one who has been captures the Stark estate after being kept as a hostage) has a northern accent but his sister has an Irish one. There could be more justification for that, if they have been apart for years but really.....

I suspect Roy Dotrice has done it to help him distinguish the characters but it makes everything seem out of tune.

I tend to agree with you about the voices putting you off but I acquired this audio book free so went with it. I will, however, just read the books from now on.

The first real audio books that I listened to were the Lymond Chronicles but I had already read the books. I didn't listen to them in the correct order and read the first one last of all. The first one was read by a different person from all the others and I thought when first hearing it that I preferred his voice because it was more Scottish. But having listened to the other reader again, I have developed a real appreciation of how well he portrayed the characters and voices.

However, this was not the case with the Niccolo books as I hated the Scottish accents the reader used for some of the characters -- sort of Janet from Dr Finlay's Casebook but for men. There is nothing wrong with Janet's accent in other contexts.

PS: I have a long and abiding love for Scottish accents. It's my mother's fault she took me to see From Russia with Love at far too early and impressionable an age.
Last edited by SGM on Thu March 29th, 2012, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”