Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 8:40 am

[quote=""rebecca""]Hi Brenna
I get your point about the times they were living in where leaving your family was not an option but what I don't understand is why some main characters seem to disappear? It's difficult to say much because I don't wish to spoil the book for others..But what tipped me over the edge was the idea that some of the characters er...morph into other creatures.

But please I have skimmed some of the other books in an effort to find out who is Jon Snow's mother? Or doesn't he ever find out? If you know the answer can you tell me what book and chapter it is in?

The strange thing is I am loving the TV program of it, but find the books difficult(cept the first one. Loved reading that).

Thanks Brenna

Bec :) [/quote]

In the TV series, Ned explains who Jon's mother is - not sure if you've got to that part yet - but she's not a major character.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 12:35 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]In the TV series, Ned explains who Jon's mother is - not sure if you've got to that part yet - but she's not a major character.[/quote]

Wait, in the TV series, I thought all he ever said was I shouldn't have kept it from you and we will talk about it when I return. Well, that's not an option now. They mention it in the 3rd book and I'll have to look at what chapter it was to tell you, but I know there is still more to the story than what is being discussed. There are a few theories I think of who his mother was, as a few names have been thrown around.
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 1:53 pm

I think in the series he just said she was a servant or something and it didn't matter, but presumably he was trying to wriggle out of going into any more detail. Only read the first book so far, must admit I thought at the time that it wouldn't be that simple - my opinion was that Cersei was his mother but wondered if that was too obvious.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 3:38 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I think in the series he just said she was a servant or something and it didn't matter, but presumably he was trying to wriggle out of going into any more detail. Only read the first book so far, must admit I thought at the time that it wouldn't be that simple - my opinion was that Cersei was his mother but wondered if that was too obvious.[/quote]

Way to make me shudder! Gosh no! I think she was royal though and I think Ned certainly had feelings for her. At least it seems that way. But it makes sense since he and Cat weren't supposed to be married and they had only a few weeks together before he was off to fight another war.
Brenna

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu August 4th, 2011, 4:38 am

Ash--"What it boiled down to was several plot threads that should have lead to a huge climax. But in the end no one was really going anywhere."

Brenna--"Everytime it looks like the Starks will catch a break, something else bad happens. Not to mention the 300 additional characters that keep getting added makes some of the POVs tedious.."

Madeleine--"In the TV series, Ned explains who Jon's mother is - not sure if you've got to that part yet - but she's not a major character.'

Thanks ladies and from the above you can see where I am getting a little peeved at the author. Martin does a great job in developing his characters but he seems to get lost in the plot's twists and turns and he tends to meander on and on and the characters seem to be going nowhere. What should be climatic turns out to be a fizzer and this in turns leads to disappointment(for me anyway) and then as you read there are more and more and yes, more characters. I would prefer less characters and a greater emphasis on existing characters which have some where to go and leads to some sort of climatic ending.

Perhaps he is making too many books whereas a trilogy of tightly controlled plots may have worked better.

Jon Snows mother is one of the fizzers. I was also thinking of that particular character as his mother but decided that Ned would not betrray his friend in that way. So at the beginning Martin leaves the reader with the 'wow wonder WHO is Jon's mother' and then its a fizzer because as much as I have read of the books(the first two and glanced through the third) I dont get WHY he made a fuss over Jon's mother if she is going to be a mere serving girl.

But I have decided to persevere but I still think it would have been better if Martin had maintained it as a tightly worded trilogy. That's my opinion of course.

Thanks ladies. :)

Bec

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu August 4th, 2011, 6:40 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]Thanks ladies and from the above you can see where I am getting a little peeved at the author. Martin does a great job in developing his characters but he seems to get lost in the plot's twists and turns and he tends to meander on and on and the characters seem to be going nowhere. What should be climatic turns out to be a fizzer and this in turns leads to disappointment(for me anyway) and then as you read there are more and more and yes, more characters. I would prefer less characters and a greater emphasis on existing characters which have some where to go and leads to some sort of climatic ending.

Jon Snows mother is one of the fizzers. I was also thinking of that particular character as his mother but decided that Ned would not betrray his friend in that way. So at the beginning Martin leaves the reader with the 'wow wonder WHO is Jon's mother' and then its a fizzer because as much as I have read of the books(the first two and glanced through the third) I dont get WHY he made a fuss over Jon's mother if she is going to be a mere serving girl.

Bec[/quote]

Well said! I am in complete agreement. I think Jon's mother has to be someone important given that Martin continues to bring this discussion back around. I guess we will have to keep reading to find out. I'll let you all know if I come across anything as I finish the third book.
Brenna

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu August 4th, 2011, 7:52 pm

I have a theory about Jon's parentage but I don't want to say unless I'm way, way off, lol. Or unless I'm spot on and ruin it for everyone else.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu August 4th, 2011, 10:47 pm

But what tipped me over the edge was the idea that some of the characters er...morph into other creatures.
See, I think thats cool, esp with Bran. But I have always loved fantasy books, and one of my favorite series was all about shape changers, so....

Re Jon's mother - it is revealed in the latest book. I was rather surprised, as I had my own theory (son of Robert, not Neds) but that didn't pan out.
Last edited by Ash on Fri August 5th, 2011, 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri August 5th, 2011, 2:52 am

Ash--"Re Jon's mother - it is revealed in the latest book. I was rather surprised, as I had my own theory but that didn't pan out."

Mythica--"a theory about Jon's parentage but I don't want to say unless I'm way, way off, lol. Or unless I'm spot on and ruin it for everyone else."

Brenna--"I think Jon's mother has to be someone important given that Martin continues to bring this discussion back around."

When it comes to Jon's mother I am nearly at the *pull my hair out stage* and I do think Martin is taking way too long in getting to the point(I will admit that I am not a patient person). I have just begun the third book and still I don't know ackkk!!! Perhaps also I am taking too much note of the TV promo images in that one pic shows Jon Snow sitting on the throne...How can that be if he is a bastard with an unimportant mother? I also think that Martin meanders too long in one direction before veering off in another with no real outcome, just more meandering.

It is such a brilliant concept and Martin at times shows his genius-- it is just a pity that he has over indulged in too much plot machinations which have no finish and way too much descriptions of scenery, costumes etc.

I still think the books would have worked better as a trilogy and less on wordiness on the scenery etc.

I am now just beginning book 3 'Storm of Swords' and finally Ser Jamie has his own chapters. I am interested in finding out how this character justifies his own evil actions. Martin has certainly created a villain you just love to hate...But hopefully Ser Jamie and his sister Cersei will at some stage have their comuppance but with Martin you just dont know.

What books are you ladies up too? I think Ash is way ahead of me.....?

Bec :)

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri August 5th, 2011, 9:51 am

[quote=""rebecca""]
What books are you ladies up too? I think Ash is way ahead of me.....?

Bec :) [/quote]

I'm a quarter through the second book.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”