Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed March 27th, 2013, 11:47 am

I had to refer to the glossary a few times, so whatever you find most useful I suppose. There's also a useful fansite called Tower of the Hand, which is great for chapter summaries, and family trees.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Wed March 27th, 2013, 11:58 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]Is it sad to download the Game of Thrones app on my phone just so I can look up characters/places/houses when I get confused? It's a lot quicker than looking at the references at the back of the books![/quote]

LOL! I want that app. What's the name of it?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed March 27th, 2013, 12:03 pm

The app is called 'A World of Ice and Fire'. There is a small charge but it was worth it in my case! It has pictures of all the emblems for the houses, too. All very colourful

Thanks for the heads up on the website, Madeleine. I've had a look at it and it's great for maps, too!
Last edited by Vanessa on Wed March 27th, 2013, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu March 28th, 2013, 10:31 am

Glad you found it useful, Vanessa, it's very addictive.

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Fri March 29th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Thanks, Vanessa. I'm going to try it.

laktor
Reader

Book 4, Feast of Crows

Post by laktor » Fri March 14th, 2014, 6:29 am

Can't believe the 4th book of this series got such poor reviews on amazon and most people say it's a dull read compared to other books in the series. I'm currently about 300 pages in and I'm loving it. It's probably my favourite book so far. It's easier reading than the other books and I, for one, am finding it quite interesting. To each his own, but Feast of Crows is way better than what I've been told.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 14th, 2014, 11:21 am

I hit page 500 of this one last night, so over halfway through now and I'm quite enjoying it, it's a lot talkier than the previous books, and I did find a couple of chapters - the kingsmoot for example, and another one with the various Greyjoy brothers plotting - a little bit heavygoing, but apart from that I'm also enjoying it, although Book 3 is still my favourite. I think the main reason a lot of people don't like it is because Tyrion isn't in it, although his presence is still quite dominant, as this book deals a lot with the fallout from the events of book 3. And Cersei certainly has some great lines!

Looking forward to the new series - only 3 weeks to go!
Last edited by Madeleine on Fri March 14th, 2014, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri March 14th, 2014, 7:26 pm

I doubt very much whether I shall be able to read it in time. Mind you, they don't seem to be following the books exactly as there are still some events from book which haven't been dramatised yet.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 14th, 2014, 8:14 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I doubt very much whether I shall be able to read it in time. Mind you, they don't seem to be following the books exactly as there are still some events from book which haven't been dramatised yet.[/quote]

Yes that's true, and I doubt they'll film all of book 4 this series. Just seen the latest trailer - yikes those dragons have grown!
Last edited by Madeleine on Fri March 14th, 2014, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Sat March 15th, 2014, 4:12 am

The new season of the tv show, I believe, deals with the 2nd half of book 3, not book 4, Feast of Crows.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”