Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Brenna
Bibliophile

Game of Thrones: Books

Post by Brenna » Mon July 18th, 2011, 1:47 pm

So we have a thread for the HBO series, but I didn't see one for the books themselves. I have no idea if this is the correct place to put this thread-I will let the powers at be decide that. But I thought it would be fun to have a thread to ask questions, start a dialogue about the books, compare to the series, etc. As I just finished the first book, I have a vested interest!
Brenna

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon July 18th, 2011, 3:29 pm

We should certainly have a thread for the books, but perhaps the 'Historical Fantasy' section would be a more appropriate category for them.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon July 18th, 2011, 3:42 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]We should certainly have a thread for the books, but perhaps the 'Historical Fantasy' section would be a more appropriate category for them.[/quote]

That was my thought. I'll get them moved over shortly.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon July 18th, 2011, 7:47 pm

I'm reading the first book now - I'm not normally really into fantasy but wow, this is good.

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Tue July 19th, 2011, 8:02 am

I just bought the first book yesterday - but am yet to read it...thank you uni assignment deadlines

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue July 19th, 2011, 12:53 pm

Finished the 1st book this weekend and have started the 2nd. Lots of new characters which I can tell are going to be difficult to remember.
Brenna

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue July 19th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Hee, get used to that. Im on the 5th book and he's doing the same - however, this time a few of his 'new' characters really aren't; some interesting surprises there.

Should I assume that we use thisfor spoilers?

Im a little frustrated with where the Danyers story is going in the 5th book, and wish Martin would stop with the clothing descriptions already. But despite needing some editing, Im liking this, a lot!

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue July 19th, 2011, 2:02 pm

I finished Dance a few days ago. Enjoyed it, but I still think first three books are the best so far. And yes, some interesting developments with some new PoV characters who will shake things up a bit. Barristan Selmy and Lady Dustin had some interesting reveals, don't you think?

Ending on major cliffhangers while only barely addressing the cliffhangers in the last book was frustrating, considering how long we'll have to wait for the next, but I realize why he probably had to do that.

SPOILER relative to MAJOR cliffhanger in ADwD:

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue July 19th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Gosh, Brenna! You fair rattled through that one!! :eek: How did it compare to the TV adaptation? Are you glad you read it now?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue July 19th, 2011, 3:26 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Gosh, Brenna! You fair rattled through that one!! :eek: How did it compare to the TV adaptation? Are you glad you read it now?[/quote]

Vanessa-my weekend consisted of sleep, reading Game of Thrones, sleep, and Harry Potter. Plus, it's difficult to enjoy and read at my own pace when I have my husband staring holes through the book waiting for me to finish. :D

I am glad that I read it though because it helped to put faces to names as I didn't catch much of the names in the series (we were watching them too fast and having to pause constantly when little ones would walk into the room). Not to mention, the book gives much more information on the wolves, which is my favorite and least favorite part. Least favorite for obvious reasons but don't know how to do the spoiler thing so I'll just leave it there.

I know most people love the Dany storyline, but I'm not intrigued really. Maybe she will come more alive for me in this book, we'll see.
Brenna

Return to “Historical Fantasy”