Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue November 13th, 2012, 1:43 am

[quote=""Gabriele Campbell""]There is a popular theory on the Westeros forums (a site deidcated to GRRM) that Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. Make of it what you want. :) [/quote]

I heard that too and think there may be something to it. But before the 3rd Season begins I will have to re-read the books as I had a tendency to skip through many of the chapters I found boring ie>Dani/Sansa :rolleyes: So come Christmas I shall be re-reading 'Storm of Swords/Feast for Crows'...That's right isn't it?

Bec :)

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue November 13th, 2012, 9:14 am

[quote=""Gabriele Campbell""]There is a popular theory on the Westeros forums (a site deidcated to GRRM) that Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. Make of it what you want. :) [/quote]

That is my theory too - but when it came to me, I was unaware others had come to the same conclusion! I think the fact that so many people have thought of it, possibly on their own like me, means there is something to it.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 13th, 2012, 9:54 am

I'm looking forward to reading Storm of Swords soon; I'm also tempted to skip the Dani chapters but just read them quickly instead, as she is an important part of the story. Please people - no spoilers!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon November 19th, 2012, 8:47 am

I just watched season 1 of the show. Does that season cover the first book? Now I'm wanting to read the novels.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon November 19th, 2012, 9:38 am

[quote=""Nefret""]I just watched season 1 of the show. Does that season cover the first book? Now I'm wanting to read the novels.[/quote]

Yes, the first season pretty much sticks to the book. The second season did not stick to the book very well though, there was some stuff that was changed and added that was not in the second book.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon November 19th, 2012, 9:58 am

I've just realised that book 3 is in two parts and I need to read them before Season 3 starts! That must be approx 1500 pages to read!!! :eek:
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon November 19th, 2012, 11:20 am

Yup series 2 did deviate a bit from the book but most of the main stuff was there - a few characters didn't make it over from the book but I know from the cast lists for Series 3 that they'll be in that, likewise some stuff from book 3 was brought into series 2 - haven't read book 3 yet but I've heard a few things that happen
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon November 19th, 2012, 1:44 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I've just realised that book 3 is in two parts and I need to read them before Season 3 starts! That must be approx 1500 pages to read!!! :eek: [/quote]

I think it's book 4 that is in two parts-book 4 and 5. Feast of Crows and Dance with Dragons.
Brenna

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon November 19th, 2012, 2:07 pm

FYI: The US edition of A Storm of Swords was published as one volume; the UK edition was published as two volumes. I think the UK did the same with A Dance with Dragons.

Here is the complete list:

A Song of Ice and Fire series:

A Game of Thrones (1996)

A Clash of Kings (1998)

A Storm of Swords (2000)
Part 1 Steel and Snow (UK edition only; US edition published as a single volume)
Part 2 Blood and Gold (UK edition only; US edition published as a single volume)

A Feast for Crows (2005)

A Dance with Dragons (2011)
Part 1 Dreams and Dust (UK Edition)
Part 2 After the Feast (UK Edition)

The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)

A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)
Last edited by Ludmilla on Mon November 19th, 2012, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue November 20th, 2012, 12:56 am

The producers of GOT are obviously combining books into the series...The thing I am unsure about is what books will be used in series 3? I know in one of the books Tyrion isn't mentioned and I found that one a hard slog(forget which one it was) and I pray God that Peter Dinklage will play Tyrion throughout the series on TV-I really can't imagine the show without him.

I think most of us have a good idea of how Series 3 will end :( ( no spoilers here) and Martin himself has said he intends to go into hiding :cool: once the third season hits our television screens(Lets hope it's to finish 'The Winds of Winter!!). But I would like to re-read the books that will be covered in season 3...Would they be A Storm of Swords/Feast for Crows?

As for the whole Jon Snow parentage, it's mere speculation and not fact. Although I'm inclined to believe it, the author does have a habit of putting in red herrings and then pulling the rug out from everyone.....

I just can't wait for the next installment as DWD ended in a cliff hanger!

Bec :)

Return to “Historical Fantasy”