Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun January 20th, 2013, 8:06 pm

1) Steel and Snow
2) Blood and Gold
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue January 29th, 2013, 9:30 am

[quote=""laktor""]Holy crap! In just 135 pages of Storm of Swords, in the last 3rd of the book, a heck of a lot has happened! OMG!!![/quote]

I'm about 60 pages into the second part of SofS, and wow, I've just had a cheer moment :D There are so many good scenes in the 3rd book which I really hope they keep in the series. Brienne is fast becoming one of my favourite characters.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 11th, 2013, 11:28 am

[quote=""laktor""]Holy crap! In just 135 pages of Storm of Swords, in the last 3rd of the book, a heck of a lot has happened! OMG!!![/quote]

Finished it last night and I think laktor's statement pretty much sums up the whole book :eek:

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 11th, 2013, 11:31 am

[quote=""rebecca""]I think most of us have a good idea of how Series 3 will end :( ( no spoilers here) and Martin himself has said he intends to go into hiding :cool: once the third season hits our television screens(Lets hope it's to finish 'The Winds of Winter!!). But I would like to re-read the books that will be covered in season 3...Would they be A Storm of Swords/Feast for Crows?

Bec :) [/quote]

I can see why.... ;)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon February 11th, 2013, 11:03 pm

I read as far as but not including A Feast For Crows many moons ago. I am now watching (and loving) Series 1 of Game of Thrones and have started a mammoth re-read of the books from the first one. Once again I am struck by how much better historical fiction this is than a lot of historical fiction - if that makes sense! If this was HF and not fantasy, he'd have the medieval mindsets spot on. Way to go George R.R. Martin!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue February 12th, 2013, 1:36 am

I read where George Martin was inspired to write his whole GOT fantasy novels from reading the book The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, Book 1)by Maurice Druon. I also think there is a touch of the 'War of the Roses' about the books, but I love them, although Martin does tend to wander off track and some of the books can become tedious(The book where Tyrion is barely mentioned was difficult). But DWD ended in such a cliff hanger, that I can hardly wait for 'Winds of Winter'...I just wish he'd hurry it up!

Now the DVD box set of series 2 is going on sale in March(I shall be buying it) and I think the third season will begin sometime in April? *fingers crossed*.

I will now be buying the Accursed Kings and see if they're any good.

Bec :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue February 12th, 2013, 9:03 am

I'm not sure but I think it starts on 1 April in the UK. I intend reading Feast of Crows before watching it - I just have to read some other stuff first.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue February 12th, 2013, 9:15 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]I'm not sure but I think it starts on 1 April in the UK. I intend reading Feast of Crows before watching it - I just have to read some other stuff first.[/quote]

Umm, you need to read Storm of Swords first! Unless you've already read it! :confused:

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue February 12th, 2013, 10:59 am

[quote=""rebecca""]I read where George Martin was inspired to write his whole GOT fantasy novels from reading the book The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, Book 1)by Maurice Druon. [/quote]

Yeah, I've seen this advertised as "the series that inspired George R.R. Martin’s epic work". It's on my Kindle price drop watch list.
I also think there is a touch of the 'War of the Roses' about the books,
Definitely! When I was reading Alison Weir's Wars of the Roses, I was struck by a few scenes that reminded me of scenes in ASOIAF.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed March 27th, 2013, 10:52 am

Is it sad to download the Game of Thrones app on my phone just so I can look up characters/places/houses when I get confused? It's a lot quicker than looking at the references at the back of the books!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Historical Fantasy”