Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

'A Discovery of Witches' by Deborah Harkness

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat August 11th, 2012, 2:55 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]I really wanted to like this but it flew after about 150 pages, partly because the pace was glacial, and partly because I did think the romance was soppy and cliched. Others have loved it though, so you may well too! For what it's worth, I found the atmosphere similar to the Outlander/Cross Stitch series, which also wasn't for me, so if you liked that you may well like this.[/quote]

I gave up on it. For some reason the book lagged and I couldn't get into it. I don't know if it is because I loathed science at school(I once nearly blew up our science lab :eek: by putting something on a bunson burner thingy :p LOL-True story)but back to the story. I wanted to like this book but I didn't. Though many others probably loved it. And like you Miss Moppet I also didn't like the Outlander book.

Bec :) PS: I think I suffer from imagination failure :p

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri September 7th, 2012, 1:31 pm

According to my Kindle, I'm only 30%+ in but am still really enjoying it. I did not prefer the Outlander series but I like this book. Curious.
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri September 7th, 2012, 7:12 pm

I wouldn't compare this to Outlander at all, although there is a time-travel element to it, but apart from that, I can't see any comparison. I enjoyed Outlander, and may even re-read it soon, as I think a second reading would be better.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 10th, 2012, 1:03 pm

No, I agree, Madeleine, A Discovery of Witches is completely different to the Outlander books, although I loved both.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon September 10th, 2012, 1:56 pm

I can't help it, I love this book! Yes, it does take a while to get to a point but the writing just sucks you in, so I don't mind so much. One thing I did get confused on is
Brenna

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon September 17th, 2012, 2:20 pm

[quote=""Susan""]Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (Book 2)

I'm going to start with the ending...as in "A Discovery of Witches," I appreciate that there is an ending. Yes, conflicts are not resolved, and the plot of the trilogy needs to continue, but the characters are in a place where this reader felt a breather could be taken. Some readers noted that there were too many historical details. Not for me; I like historical details and when the characters were in 1590 London, I felt I was there with them. I like books with an alternative world, especially when it co-exists with our world. I enjoyed the characters that were actually real people (and there were lots of them) and did some research on the ones I was not familiar with. I'm going to a Renaissance Fair tomorrow and Christopher Marlowe will be one of the characters. I'll be thinking about him a little differently. ;-) For those who read this book, you might find it interesting that Matthew Roydon was a real person.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Roydon[/quote]

Me too! I am not a fan of how she left the second book though. Too many loose ends and questions that will require a rather large third and final book! I wonder if there are other books like this one that incorporate the historical periods/tidbits with fantasy like elements (besides the Outlander series). I've never considered that an interest of mine before but I certainly do now!
Brenna

Manda Scott
Reader

Post by Manda Scott » Mon September 17th, 2012, 3:04 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]I've never considered that an interest of mine before but I certainly do now![/quote]

If you've never read anything by Guy Gavriel Kay then he does this - history, but set in a slightly different reality - outstandingly well. His latest, UNDER HEAVEN is one of the best books I've read this year, but almost everything he writes is exceptional.

He's one of the two writers who brought the 'Silmarilion' together after Tolkien's death and his first trilogy was very much time-slip fantasy. TIGANA came next and was his first foray into historical-fantasy but he shifted more to history after that. THE LIONS OF AL RASSAN is one of my favourites, but others prefer his look at Byzantium and the late Roman period, SAILING TO SARANTIUM and then LORD OF EMPERORS.

Let us know if you enjoy them!

Manda

Bestselling author of
Boudica: Dreaming. INTO THE FIRE out in June 2015: Forget what you thought you knew, this changes everything.

[url=http:www.mandascott.co.uk]http:www.mandascott.co.uk[/url]

Return to “Historical Fantasy”