Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pyridain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Fri August 13th, 2010, 8:21 am

hey MLE, just to note, i think it was the last book "the high King" that won the award but id have to check. I think i remember that because that was my favourite book of the series (and the most epic). I cant think of any other series where each book is better than the previous, for me anyway.

I had a nice hard cover omnibus of this series which might be the surest way to collect the series.

Im glad this is well known but im surprised its not as talked about as other series. it probably suffered from the attempt to Disneyfy it in the 80s (ugh).

have to stop talking about it or ill want to re-read it.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri August 13th, 2010, 1:34 pm

I'm almost sure it was the High King as well. I didn't like Taran Wanderer as much.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 13th, 2010, 2:31 pm

You're right, I just checked -- it was the High King--1969. And the Black Cauldron was an honor winner two years before. Well, the brain ages and little bits of memory break off.

Alex Worthy
Scribbler

Post by Alex Worthy » Fri August 13th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Thanks Divia and MLE.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri August 13th, 2010, 4:01 pm

I have the series (somehow managed to miss it as a kid) and was hoping to read this with my daughters one of these days. We'll get around to it eventually. Also have some of Alan Garner's books, too, which I hope to read with them.

I tried to get my daughter interested in Time Cat (another Alexander novel) a few years ago, but she was just a tad too young to appreciate it. Sometimes, you have to get them at just the right time or age.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed August 18th, 2010, 10:53 am

Hey Keny, thanks for posting about these books! What a blast from the past. I too loved these books as a boy. It's so funny that so many other members liked them too. I haven't read them as an adult, but as I still have them (I kept all the best of my fantasy books), I must get them next time I visit my parents.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed August 18th, 2010, 7:50 pm

I was interested to note that Philip Reeve (whose teenage historical novel Here Lies Arthur I've just mentioned in the Young Adult Historical Fiction thread) says that Alexander's Prydain Chronicles, along with Tolkien and Rosemary Sutcliff, were a major influence on him when he was young.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu August 19th, 2010, 10:21 am

[quote=""parthianbow""]Hey Keny, thanks for posting about these books! What a blast from the past. I too loved these books as a boy. It's so funny that so many other members liked them too. I haven't read them as an adult, but as I still have them (I kept all the best of my fantasy books), I must get them next time I visit my parents.[/quote]

no problem, Ben. I'm a bit surprised so many members remember and enjoy these too. and they definately hold up well when you read them as an adult.

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Fri August 20th, 2010, 8:28 am

I adored these books and well remember weeping copiously at the end of High King. I also devoured Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising" series and Alan Garner's books as well. Those three series triggered off my love of Celtic fantasy, actually, when I was a child, then later I moved on to Tolkien and Mists of Avalon. I re-bought Dark is Rising and Alan Garner in a fit of nostalgia but had not tracked down Prydain. I must get them, especially if they have been reissued - they can complete my nostalgia fest! Thanks for the reminder
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Fri August 20th, 2010, 10:03 am

[quote=""juleswatson""]I adored these books and well remember weeping copiously at the end of High King. I also devoured Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising" series and Alan Garner's books as well. Those three series triggered off my love of Celtic fantasy, actually, when I was a child, then later I moved on to Tolkien.[/quote]
How funny! The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and the sequel The Moon of Gomrath were two of my all time favourites, as were the Susan Cooper books. Incidentally, Jules, did you know that the 2nd book, The Dark is Rising, was made in to a film about 1 or 2 years ago? Not seen it, but my dad said it was quite good.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Return to “Historical Fantasy”