Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Naomi Novik's Temeraire series

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed February 18th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Amazon and Fantastic Fiction both show the next book, In His Majesty's Service, coming out in October 2009, but it looks like an omnibus, not a new book in the series. (Is it me, or does that title sound too much like the first American title, and also too James Bondish?) The only other info I found is reported on Wikipedia:
At a book signing on July 11, 2008 at Pandemonium Books in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Novik divulged that the series has a definite end that would ideally be reached by the ninth book, but that no decision has been reached.
So, if things continue to be successful, there will be at last nine books. I'm probably not as informed as those who check publisher websites on a regular basis and chase after ARCs. I'm lucky if I get to a book within the first year that it's been released, and my towering TBR is a daily admonishment for not reading what I already own before buying more!
Last edited by Ludmilla on Wed February 18th, 2009, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu February 19th, 2009, 1:21 am

Nine books works for me! The first books US title was His Majesty's Dragon I think, so yes it is similar. I suspect that if the movie does end up going ahead then there may well be omnibus editions and rereleases and the like.

I am reading the fifth book in the series and it seems to me that there has been a fundamental change in this book because previously Novik was able to use known battles against Napoleon in various places in Europe and just tweak them somewhat to include the dragons, but in this book she has had to make up all new battles that didn't happen!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Thu February 19th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Speaking of dragons, has anyone read Shana Abé's books on the shapeshifting dragons? I have not, but my friend raves about them. They are set in 18th century UK, I believe, and are historical fantasy romances (or possibly more tags can be added!!) She also did one about mermaids, set in three time periods in Scotland - starting with 500 AD-ish. Sounds interesting. And Diamond Lil, regarding Novik, is that the movie that Peter Jackson is supposedly directing???
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu February 19th, 2009, 7:40 pm

I have the first one here, but I haven't read it yet. I didn't realise it was set in the 18th century though.

And Jules, yes, Peter Jackson is meant to be directing the movie. I believe it is in development at the moment.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 10:34 am

I so want to read the next book in this series having just finished Victory of Eagles. It looks like the next one will be set in Australia.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed August 12th, 2009, 1:16 pm

The mention in the What are we reading thread about the first book in this series prompted me to wonder what is happening with the next book because it has been a while since Victory of Eagles came out.

In the last update which was in May, it appears as though the next book is slated to be released in summer 2010. Still a fair way away but I am looking forward to it, especially seeing as it is going to be set in Australia.

Edith Wharton

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Wed August 12th, 2009, 7:37 pm

Speaking of, I just noticed that Naomi Novik's His Majesty's Dragon is a Kindle freebie on amazon just now!

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu August 27th, 2009, 3:21 am

I thought there was a new one coming out this year. :confused:

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed June 2nd, 2010, 6:10 pm

Well, summer is upon us and it looks like the new one comes out in July in the US and in September in the UK. I'm already seeing ARC reviews.

traveldog
Scribbler

Post by traveldog » Mon June 7th, 2010, 4:56 pm

For anyone who is enjoying the dragons, try Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, beginning with Dragonflight. Fantasy (although one could consider it Future History......). Even if you've never read fantasy before (I hadn't), just suspend belief for a little bit, long enough to get into the story, and then you'll have no problem believing! It reads like good historical fiction ...... just of a world that didn't (won't?) exist.

I know there are a lot of fantasy and sci fi series out there, but this one is truly exceptional. And you'll probably wind up wanting your own dragon ...

Return to “Historical Fantasy”