Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Terry Pratchett & Alxheimer's

annis
Bibliomaniac

Terry Pratchett & Alxheimer's

Post by annis » Sun February 8th, 2009, 8:03 am

I'm a bit slow-- I've just caught up with the sad news that Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's Disese, which has already affected his recent couple of novels. What a tragedy! Dammit! How unfair- all those brilliant, funny and wise stories which will never now be written.
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 019605.ece

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Sun February 8th, 2009, 8:32 pm

There was an excellent television programme on the BBC (here in the UK) last week where Terry spoke about his health as cameras followed him for twelve months.

It was sad but inspirational at the same time. Worth watching if you get the chance.

He's still writing at the moment so there may be more books yet.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon February 9th, 2009, 12:32 am

Yes, he said on his website: "Im Not Dead Yet!'. So he's still got some more books in him. Tho the last two I read weren't up to his normal. Im not sure if that had to do with the illness, or if he's just booked out in general. But he is one of my favorite author, and since he'll be here at the North American Discworld Convention this March, I'm going to try my darndest to see him!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon February 9th, 2009, 2:30 am

He has apparently said that his last two books were affected by his condition, and i had noticed that they weren't quite up to his usual standard it was hard to put a finger on what it was, there just seemed to be something missing.

Alzheimers is a very scary thing. Once you reach a certain age, you start getting a tad nervous every time you have a nana moment or your mind goes annoyingly blank. Is it all those alternative substances I experimented with in my wayward youth? one wonders. Maybe just my brain cells naturally dying off at a more and more depressingly frequent rate? But always lurking in the dark recesses of the mind is that thought - Please, God, don't let it be the start of Alzheimers!

enelya
Reader

Post by enelya » Mon February 9th, 2009, 4:06 pm

I watched the documentary with my husband who is an avid fan. We had the chance to see him a couple of years ago, and even we noticed the change in his speech. I thought the program was awe inspiring...I admire his will and ability to fight this disease, and I do hope he makes it feel sorry it caught him

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Thu February 12th, 2009, 10:52 pm

I didn't see all of it, but felt for him so deeply when he was trying to read his own books and kept seeing the 'shadow' on the page. How courageously he spoke of his condition, and his attempts to overcome it - really bringing to light a condition which, until now, has largely been kept hidden (in spite of 'Iris'). I thought his whole attitude went a long way to overcoming it....which, I believe, is possible...

Return to “Historical Fantasy”