Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Mists of Avalon Series

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu September 27th, 2012, 2:23 am

[quote=""Divia""]I didnt know about merlin...but I do watch Robin Hood :D Sometimes the states are a little late in getting stuff from the UK.

I dunno if you want ot read the other books. I did and you're left with a bitter taste in your mouth because none of them are as good.[/quote]

Which version of Robin Hood? If it is the version I watched then my eyes weren't on Robin but rather Guy of Gisborne :D I do love my villains :p especially when they are that gorgeous! :D

Bec :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu September 27th, 2012, 8:42 am

You mean Richard Armitage - yes, he is rather gorgeous! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Tmalory78
Currently reading: The myst of Avalon (in French, sorry :( )
Interest in HF: All about Arthur. And Greek mythology. And all uchronies
Favourite HF book: MZB myst of Avalon
Preferred HF: Well, other than above ? :)

Re: The Mists of Avalon Series

Post by Tmalory78 » Sun August 22nd, 2021, 11:57 pm

Sorry, I don't want to be unkind by digging up this topic...
I'm rereading this novel (at least for the 3rd time). And I quickly came across the Summer Sea, which, for some reason this time, intrigued me.
I did several searches on the internet. In French and in English. Searching in medieval terms for example... I can't find any Summer Sea. I guess it's a piece of the English Channel, but is there any more precise information about it, or is it a name invented by the author?
The French translation has been literal, and gives nothing either.
Maybe it's "summer" for the South?
Basically, it's just to better situate the story, although I've already located Glastonbury and Tintagel. Could it be the Bristol Channel (or part of it)?
I started looking for ancient maps with names of ancient seas, but I didn't find anything either (the term is used in GOT, I think... so it's a big drag on the research).
So, if anyone has any ideas about this...
Thanks in advance.

Tmalory78
Currently reading: The myst of Avalon (in French, sorry :( )
Interest in HF: All about Arthur. And Greek mythology. And all uchronies
Favourite HF book: MZB myst of Avalon
Preferred HF: Well, other than above ? :)

Re: The Mists of Avalon Series

Post by Tmalory78 » Mon August 23rd, 2021, 12:47 pm

I saw now surely 12 ancient (more or less old) maps.
There is a “Sabrina Aest” wich is more often called Severn Estuary. A part of (or all the) Bristol Channel.
This estuary is related to Severn River.
So, I found this on wikipedia :
“The name Severn is thought to derive from a British *sabrinā, possibly from an older form *samarina, meaning "land of summertime fallow”.[6] The name is recorded in the Latinized form Sabrina in the 2nd century.”
There, we have the “summer”.
It’s the best I can do.
Link :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Sev ... _mythology
Do you think it could be that?

Return to “Historical Fantasy”