Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wolf Hall

Jen Black
Scribbler

Wolf Hall

Post by Jen Black » Thu January 22nd, 2015, 10:39 am

I watched Wolf Hall last night and wondered if anyone was talking about it on here. I searched the title but nothing came up. Perhaps there's a rule about discussing TV historicals?
Some of my stories are set in the 1540s, so I loved the settings, locations and costumes as well as the acting. So interesting to see people talking by firelight, watching how the light flickers and how dim candlelight really is compared to what we have today. I tried counting how many candles were held on the three tiered candlestands and never got a total number! Must go back and freeze frame the video. Bare floorboards, and the noise every footstep makes. Tables covered in Turkey carpets. Metal drinking goblets. Lovely details.

Initially I wasn't impressed by Rylance, but he grew on me. Damien Lewis threatens to make the best Henry I've seen yet, and that includes Robert Shaw and Keith Michell's interpretations.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu January 22nd, 2015, 11:28 am

Hi Jen, there is actually a thread for TV programmes under the "General/Off topic" section near the bottom of the list of threads, but there's nothing in there either and I'm surprised that no one else has started a discussion, but perhaps not everyone's seen it yet.

I did watch it and thought it was a little slow to start, not sure about Rylance either - I know The Tudors series was very tacky but I still think of James Frain as Cromwell! - but there's a long way to go yet and I'm sure he'll grow on me. I agree about Damien Lewis; when I saw the pictures of him as Henry I thought he looked exactly right and could well be the best Henry - I vaguely remember Keith Michell and he's always been my template for Henry until now.

It did look lovely didn't it? Wonderful settings and costumes. I love candlelight too, it's so much more attractive than artificial light. It's a promising series so far.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Jen Black
Scribbler

Post by Jen Black » Thu January 22nd, 2015, 3:22 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Hi Jen, there is actually a thread for TV programmes under the "General/Off topic" section near the bottom of the list of threads, but there's nothing in there either and I'm surprised that no one else has started a discussion, but perhaps not everyone's seen it yet.

I did watch it and thought it was a little slow to start, not sure about Rylance either - I know The Tudors series was very tacky but I still think of James Frain as Cromwell! - but there's a long way to go yet and I'm sure he'll grow on me. I agree about Damien Lewis; when I saw the pictures of him as Henry I thought he looked exactly right and could well be the best Henry - I vaguely remember Keith Michell and he's always been my template for Henry until now.

It did look lovely didn't it? Wonderful settings and costumes. I love candlelight too, it's so much more attractive than artificial light. It's a promising series so far.[/quote]

Thanks Madeleine - I've moved my post to the proper place! I thought it might be considered cheeky to move yours as well.
Jen

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu January 22nd, 2015, 4:45 pm

We did Wolf Hall as a book of the month back when--I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

Return to “Historical Mystery”