Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Paul Doherty

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun October 19th, 2008, 5:31 am

I will have to put his Helena/Constantine novels on my TBR. I just wrote a post on my blog about wanting to be present at the historical event when Constantine was acclaimed Emperor of the Western Roman Empire - and would love to read something about Constantine that isn't too pious. Frank Slaughter's Constantine: The Miracle of the Flaming Cross, for example, was published in 1965 and sounds a little too Ben-Hur-ish for my taste.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Aneca
Scribbler

Post by Aneca » Sun October 19th, 2008, 3:19 pm

I've read The Cup of Ghosts and have the second book of that series in the TBR pile. And I just put the Vanessa Alexander books in the WL...

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun October 19th, 2008, 7:12 pm

Margaret, I enjoyed your blog entry on HNI.
Ihere is another novel about Constantine by Colin Thubron, called "Emperor".
http://ezinearticles.com/?Emperor-by-Co ... &id=983510

Louis de Wohl's "The Living Wood" is a novel about Constantine and his mother Helena. (Christian message)
http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.asp ... 4&AFID=12&

Helena is also the subject of Evelyn Waugh's 1950 "Helena", reprinted 2005.
http://www.amazon.com/Helena-Loyola-Cla ... 082942122X

Helena is definitely the focus in Paul Doherty's books, but Constantine does appear from time to time.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Constantine novels

Post by Margaret » Mon October 20th, 2008, 12:45 am

Thanks, Annis! I've added these.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Leena
Scribbler

Post by Leena » Fri October 2nd, 2009, 11:06 pm

I like his Egyptian books, but haven't tapped into the others yet. I plan to do that, as soon as I can make a list of where to start! :D
Last edited by Leena on Sat October 3rd, 2009, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

george3
Scribbler

Paul Doherty

Post by george3 » Sun July 24th, 2011, 2:39 pm

I've enjoyed anything that I've read by this author, but especially the Brother Athelstan series!

Nickie
Scribbler

Post by Nickie » Mon August 29th, 2011, 9:49 am

I've read all his Egyptian novels, and must say I like them. Once in a while, I read a Hugh Corbett one, but my preference goes to the afore mentioned series.
I also know that Paul Doherty is a nice guy, as I did an interview with him some years ago. He even sent me a signed book for my birthday that year! For those interested: you can read the interview at my site.
Always welcome to my site: http://www.nickiefleming.com

Return to “Historical Mystery”