Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jason Goodwin & Barbara Cleverly

Doug
Scribbler

Jason Goodwin & Barbara Cleverly

Post by Doug » Tue July 6th, 2010, 12:37 am

I've enjoyed the books I've read by these authors -- those by Goodwin of the Turkish Investigator Yashim, set in the 1830's as the Ottoman Empire moved further along on its decline, and those of Cleverly's Inspector Joe Sandilands, which initially were set in 1920's India, before shifting to Europe (I'm particularly fond of the ones set in India). Does anyone have any recommendations for other mysteries set in the 19th or early 20th centuries, in the Near East or India?

Doug

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue July 6th, 2010, 2:43 am

If you like Holmes, I can think of a couple of Holmesian hist mysts set in India - Laurie King's The Game and Vithal Ragan's Holmes of the Raj

Just remembered Michael Pearce's mysteries- they might appeal.
Last edited by annis on Tue July 6th, 2010, 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doug
Scribbler

Post by Doug » Tue July 6th, 2010, 3:28 am

Thanks -- I do like Holmes, but I pale in that regard before my wife, who loves Holmes stories. I'll have to check those out.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue July 6th, 2010, 4:01 am

I really enjoyed Goodwin's latest, The Bellini Card - very stylish writing (see review).

Jenny White has three books out in a mystery series that is also set during the decline of the Ottoman Empire, the "Kamil Pasha" series: The Sultan's Seal, The Abyssinian Proof and The Winter Thief. I haven't read them, so can't give them a thumbs-up or thumbs-down, but they're probably worth checking out if you're into this setting.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Leena
Scribbler

Post by Leena » Tue May 10th, 2011, 12:07 am

I liked Barbara Cleverly's The Tomb of Zeus, set in Crete, after WWI. The character in this book is a woman archaeologist, Laetitia Talbot. I'm very interested in the Minoans and have done a lot of research on them, so I was very happy to see how well Cleverly stuck to what is known about the Minoans.

And, of course, I like Joe Sandilands.
"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me. " (Elwood P. Dowd in Harvey)

Village
Scribbler

Post by Village » Tue April 10th, 2012, 12:18 pm

I really enjoyed Goodwin's Yashim mysteries. One thing that bugged me with his last one (Evil Eye) was the explosion in the amount of cooking that went on. I get that Yashim's "thing" is cooking and Goodwin really brings the food off the page in his descriptions but in the first novels they were small paragraphs used sparingly to spice a moment's plot recap or allow Yashim to gather threads in his mind, by Evil Eye they had taken on a life of their own (and I notice are now sold as a separate book "Cooking with Yashim")- it feels like a publisher's instruction to include them, rather than a serious plot device.

Rant over, I really should say that apart from that, I loved all Goodwin's books.

Peter Hancock

Middle Ages mystery

Post by Peter Hancock » Mon September 17th, 2012, 2:33 am

Ellis Peters' Cadfael books are fun if you like Holmesian-type mysteries, though they're set in the Middle Ages. ;)

Return to “Historical Mystery”