Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Laurie R King interview

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Laurie R King interview

Post by Anna Elliott » Wed April 28th, 2010, 2:58 pm

For any fans here of Laurie R King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes mysteries, there's an interview with her up here, talking about this week's release of the latest book in the series.

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed April 28th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Interesting interview - thanks for sharing, Anna. I got all excited when she mentioned 15th century Lisbon, thinking she must be branching out into a new time period with new characters! Then she said she's working on a Mary Russell mystery set in Lisbon, so I guess not. Still, I adore the Mary Russell mysteries, so I would hate to see them come to an end. I also like her hairstyle - nobody else wears it that way anymore, and she carries it off brilliantly!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Wed April 28th, 2010, 9:59 pm

[quote=""Margaret""] I also like her hairstyle - nobody else wears it that way anymore, and she carries it off brilliantly![/quote]

I think so, too! She seems like such an interesting person and I've loved her books since I was in college. She's doing a public appearance on Friday half an hour away from me this coming Friday (in Columbia, MD), so I'm hoping to make it to see her.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed April 28th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Thanks for that Anna. I've not read any of the Sherlock Holmes books, but I did read another one about an Island - but darned if I can recall the title at the moment. I did really enjoy it though and it's in my keeper cupboard somewhere.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Thu April 29th, 2010, 12:52 am

[quote=""EC2""]Thanks for that Anna. I've not read any of the Sherlock Holmes books, but I did read another one about an Island - but darned if I can recall the title at the moment. I did really enjoy it though and it's in my keeper cupboard somewhere.[/quote]

Would that be Folly? Everyone who reads that one seems to come down with an urge to vacation on a deserted island! There's a companion book to it, too, called Keeping Watch, that I haven't read.

I do highly recommend the Holmes/Russell books--though definitely start at the beginning with The Beekeeper's Apprentice if you ever decide to give them a try.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu April 29th, 2010, 8:29 am

Yes, thank you! It was Folly. I was very struck with the language. It was clean and clear but lyrical at the same time.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Historical Mystery”