Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Victoria Thompson

jamesy1

Victoria Thompson

Post by jamesy1 » Wed October 21st, 2009, 3:20 pm

Has anyone read any of her Gaslight Mystery series? I find them very entertaining and an easy read. They are set in the late 19th Century in New York City and include mysteries in China Town, Little Italy etc.. The main character is a midwife named Sarah Brandt and she helps the local irish detective to solve the murders. It is a lighter mystery series but well written and enjoyable.
The newest installment is called Murder on Waverly Place.

http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Waverly-Pl ... d_sim_b_10

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed October 21st, 2009, 6:38 pm

I've been collecting these over the last year or so as I thought they sounded good, plus they are available from amazon uk at half the price of UK paperbacks! Haven't got round to reading any yet though.....
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Fri August 13th, 2010, 2:41 pm

I've read all of them. I think they're some of the better historical mysteries out there, and very underrated and under appreciated. She's definitely a master of a twist ending.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon April 22nd, 2013, 2:14 am

New title in this series is Murder in Chelsea. It's coming out in May.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 22nd, 2013, 7:14 pm

I know this is probably a silly question, but do they need to be read in order? I know there's a will they/won't they aspect to her relationship with the cop, and developments about her husband's death, so I'm assuming there are threads running through the books.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon April 22nd, 2013, 11:05 pm

Yes, some of the books also refer to the past mysteries solved, so you should read them in order. Sorry! :o

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue April 23rd, 2013, 8:24 am

Thanks rockygirl! No problem, I always think it's a daft question, asking if a series needs to be read in order, although sometimes some instalments can be read as stand-alone books.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sat May 4th, 2013, 12:54 am

"Murder in Chelsea" arrived yesterday. I started reading it tonight. So far, so good.

nanciq
Scribbler
Currently reading: Blind Justice, Anne Perry
Preferred HF: victorian murder mysteries

Re: Victoria Thompson

Post by nanciq » Thu January 12th, 2017, 5:40 pm

I love reading her books. I think the last one I read was Murder on Amsterdam Avenue, so I'm a tad behind.

Yes, they are easy to read and quite enjoyable.

Nanci

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Re: Victoria Thompson

Post by Margaret » Wed May 23rd, 2018, 3:48 am

There are 21 books in this series now with the recent publication of Murder on Union Square, so for someone just starting out, it would be quite an undertaking to read them all in order (although they do make for quick, light reading). I recently read Murder on Union Square, the first book in the series that I have read (reviewed at HistoricalNovels.info), and did not have any serious trouble getting oriented to the characters' backgrounds. Psychological realism is not a strong point in this mystery, but it's quite the romp, with the continuing characters investigating a murder among a cast of eccentric stage actors and actresses. Union Square was the NYC theater district before Broadway took over that role - thus the title.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Historical Mystery”