Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Claude Izner

Sheramy
Reader

Claude Izner

Post by Sheramy » Tue September 22nd, 2009, 12:14 am

Anybody else been reading the Victor Legris mysteries by Claude Izner? Izner is actually a pseudonym for a pair of Parisian bookseller sisters; their hero, Victor, is a (guess what) Parisian bookseller in the late 19th century. The first book, Murder on the Eiffel Tower, was released in the US last year, and the second, Murder at Pere-Lachaise Cemetery (I'm thinking the US title is different, but I'm too lazy to look right now :-) ), will be out in America soon.

I'm currently on the third book, The Montmartre Investigation, which I recently ordered from the UK via Book Depository. Murder on the Eiffel Tower was pretty good; Murder at Pere-Lachaise Cemetery I thought was terrific. The latter taps into the late 19th century interest in spiritualism and is well paced. The Montmartre Investigation I'm finding to be a bit more disjointed, but I can't stop reading because I love the setting so much!

The sister-authors certainly know their stuff when it comes to fin-de-siecle Paris. Occasionally the prose gets slightly research-dumpy, with Victor or another character's walks through a neighborhood getting overwhelmed with unnecessary detail, but at least the facts are right on. The translation of Murder on the Eiffel Tower could use a little more smoothness, but translations of the other two books are better along this line.

Recommended as a look-see for anyone interested in 19th-century France!
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Lost Manby Jane Harper & The Last Hours" by Minette Walters
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue September 22nd, 2009, 12:45 pm

[quote=""Sheramy""]Anybody else been reading the Victor Legris mysteries by Claude Izner? Izner is actually a pseudonym for a pair of Parisian bookseller sisters; their hero, Victor, is a (guess what) Parisian bookseller in the late 19th century. The first book, Murder on the Eiffel Tower, was released in the US last year, and the second, Murder at Pere-Lachaise Cemetery (I'm thinking the US title is different, but I'm too lazy to look right now :-) ), will be out in America soon.

I'm currently on the third book, The Montmartre Investigation, which I recently ordered from the UK via Book Depository. Murder on the Eiffel Tower was pretty good; Murder at Pere-Lachaise Cemetery I thought was terrific. The latter taps into the late 19th century interest in spiritualism and is well paced. The Montmartre Investigation I'm finding to be a bit more disjointed, but I can't stop reading because I love the setting so much!

The sister-authors certainly know their stuff when it comes to fin-de-siecle Paris. Occasionally the prose gets slightly research-dumpy, with Victor or another character's walks through a neighborhood getting overwhelmed with unnecessary detail, but at least the facts are right on. The translation of Murder on the Eiffel Tower could use a little more smoothness, but translations of the other two books are better along this line.

Recommended as a look-see for anyone interested in 19th-century France![/quote]

These books have also started being published in the UK too, there's a 4th one, set in the Marais district (can't remember the exact title) plus another one, also set in Pere-Lachaise, due out in the not too distant future. Haven't read them yet but they sound promising, and very atmospheric settings.
Currently reading "The Last Hours" by Minette Walters & "The Lost Man" by Jane Harper

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri October 2nd, 2009, 8:28 pm

I think the 8th of these has now been published in France. I quite like them, although they're not all of the same quality. Great insight into the period, though. I just hope some more of that rich trove of French HF gets translated...

Return to “Historical Mystery”