Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Shardlake Series

drspoon
Scribbler

Shardlake Series

Post by drspoon » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 2:35 pm

Has anyone read the Shardlake series by Sansom and is it recommended?
Where is human nature so weak as in a bookstore?" - Henry Ward Beecher

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 8:12 pm

I love this series-- it's dark, atmospheric and the characterisation is great. I'm hanging out for the fifth book in the series, though I haven't seen an advance mention of it as yet.

At one stage there was word of a BBC TV series based on the books and starring Kenneth Branagh as Shardlake, but that seems to have put to one side at this stage.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 10:42 pm

Very highly recommended indeed!

I was looking forward to seeing Branagh as Shardlake.

Though if you want an idea of how he might play the role (minus the hunched back or whatever and with cell phones) check out the DVDs of Wallander -- excellent acting...

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 10:43 pm

[quote=""annis""]

At one stage there was word of a BBC TV series based on the books and starring Kenneth Branagh as Shardlake, but that seems to have put to one side at this stage.[/quote]

Yes he went off to play Wallander instead. :(

I love these books too. Sansom managed to do the impossible and make me interested in the Tudors! He really captures the atmosphere of social and political turmoil that must have characterised the Reformation, without making it either worthy and boring or lapsing into royal soap opera.

They are all good, but my favourite of the series so far is Sovereign. I'll never forget that scene where Henry VIII's massive procession advances towards Shardlake and his friends, and then the King humiliates him in front of everyone. Brilliant!

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Tue August 4th, 2009, 6:35 am

I just read the first book up to now, which is Dissolution but I enjoyed it a lot.
My partner read all 4 and really loved them all.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue August 4th, 2009, 7:09 pm

I've also only read the first book so far, planning on reading the second one after I've finished my current book. Enjoyed Dissolution. Not sure what's happening with the proposed TV series though.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue August 4th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Self and dh read the first one and both enjoyed it but with certain meh moments. I've read book 2 now though and thought it was a fine improvement. Went up from a four star to a five in my estimation. Dh has read both 2 and 3 and is now hooked.
Verdict from this end is that it's a good series that only gets better. Well worth buying.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

drspoon
Scribbler

Post by drspoon » Tue August 4th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Thanks, It sounds like this series will go on my list.
Where is human nature so weak as in a bookstore?" - Henry Ward Beecher

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed August 5th, 2009, 5:20 am

Wanted to add in my four cents: I love this series. The second one, Dark Fire, is my overall favorite so far but the most recent one, Revelation, is creepy and had me on the edge of my seat. Well worth the investment; Shardlake is a conflicted and flawed lead, and the mysteries aren't just throwaway complements to enhance ambiance. These books are the type that remind me that, yes, we are very fortunate to be living in the 21st century. Sansom's Tudor England is claustrophobic and dangerous; and he doesn't glamour it up for the nobility, either.
Last edited by cw gortner on Wed August 5th, 2009, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Wed August 5th, 2009, 10:22 am

For those of you in the UK, Sansom was on Bookclub on the Radio on Sunday. You can catch his question and answer session with an audience on the BBC iPLAYER. I think he mentioned what happened with the proposed series, but I've forgotten what he said :o . It's only been a few days, so that's a bit worrying :eek: .

Return to “Historical Mystery”