Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Elizabeth Peters

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 1:03 am

The Amelia Peabody series is one of my absolute favorites! Have you listened to the audio books read by the amazing Barbara Rosenblat? They are incredibly good. He Shall Thunder in the Sky is especially great.

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 10:13 pm

I've listened to a couple and Barbara Rosenblat is just excellent! She also narrates the Vicky Bliss series as well.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 11:04 pm

I love Barbara's readings of the Vicky Bliss books, too. It's crazy how attractive she makes Sir John sound--you can totally forget it's, you know, a woman doing the voice!

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Sheramy
Reader

Post by Sheramy » Sun April 5th, 2009, 3:59 pm

I've been reading Elizabeth Peters for years and years! Love her books. I wasn't wild about the latest Vicky Bliss though (Laughter of Dead Kings), I have to say. Night Train to Memphis was much better.

Re: Amelia Peabody series...can anybody else totally picture Hugh Jackman as Emerson??!!
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun April 5th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Actually looks wise I can. I don't know that I can picture him being surly enough though, but he's a good actor so I am sure he could.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ellie
Reader

Post by Ellie » Mon April 6th, 2009, 1:04 am

I'm pretty sure Hugh Jackman could do just about anything, I'd love to see him as Emerson.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon April 6th, 2009, 3:12 am

[quote=""Ellie""]I'm pretty sure Hugh Jackman could do just about anything, I'd love to see him as Emerson.[/quote]

Works for me. But who would play Ramses and David?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 6th, 2009, 10:29 am

Ooh yes definitely Jackman, he's pretty surly as Wolverine remember!

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 2:15 pm

[quote=""Anna Elliott""]The Amelia Peabody series is one of my absolute favorites! Have you listened to the audio books read by the amazing Barbara Rosenblat? They are incredibly good. He Shall Thunder in the Sky is especially great.[/quote]

I generally listen to the audiobooks - I find Barbara Roseblat's Amelia particularly helpful in motivating me to do housework and other things I'd rather not. :D

I was using up my two monthly credits at Audible, and saw the description for "Falcon at the Portal," and thought that it looked like a lot happened, so I should probably read that one in hard copy. So I checked it out from the library and got the audio download of "He Shall Thunder in the Sky." Well, I finished "Falcon" and wanted to know what happened next so badly that I ran out and bought myself the paperback (library was closed). I just couldn't wait to listen to the audiobook. Whew! I'm glad I did - I don't think I would have followed everything as well if I'd listened to it. I think I can return to normal now that all has been revealed and resolved, though!

SusannaG
Scribbler

Post by SusannaG » Thu June 25th, 2009, 11:05 pm

I think the Amelia Peabodies are great fun - I have just discovered them this year.

I also liked The Murders of Richard III, which was written in 1974 and is not a historical, actually. It's about mayhem among the Ricardians, though.
South Carolina is too large for a mental asylum, and too small for a republic. - James Pettigru, 1856

Return to “Historical Mystery”