Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who are your favorite romance authors??

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu September 15th, 2011, 2:24 am

[quote=""jessicajames""]Kathleen Woodiwiss. There was no one better.[/quote]

She's probably one of my least favorite authors. I find her writing too flowery and too many historical inaccuracies.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu September 15th, 2011, 9:51 am

I loved Woodiwiss when I was 15. She's not for me now, but I still have a couple of her novels on my keeper shelf in memory of the time when I enjoyed her writing. It was like extreme glam rock - totally over the top, but so gloriously naff it was brilliant! She knew how to keep the pages turning even if the books were overblown and the historical veracity more than suspect. There's something very joyful about Woodiwiss at the top of her game.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu September 15th, 2011, 6:23 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I loved Woodiwiss when I was 15. She's not for me now, but I still have a couple of her novels on my keeper shelf in memory of the time when I enjoyed her writing. It was like extreme glam rock - totally over the top, but so gloriously naff it was brilliant! She knew how to keep the pages turning even if the books were overblown and the historical veracity more than suspect. There's something very joyful about Woodiwiss at the top of her game.[/quote]

I guess she was a bit of trend-setter and a lot of people followed on copying her -- unless I have got it wrong and there was someone before her of that style. Like many people she arrived during my teens and I devoured her but -- alas, no more.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu September 15th, 2011, 8:38 pm

I'm with EC on this one. I found Woodiwiss' Wolf and the Dove absolutely riveting when I was a teenager and keep a copy for old times' sake, but she definitely wouldn't be my choice of authors these days. In my case anyway, tastes have become more astringent the older and more cynical I get!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 15th, 2011, 10:05 pm

[quote=""annis""]I'm with EC on this one. I found Woodiwiss' Wolf and the Dove absolutely riveting when I was a teenager and keep a copy for old times' sake, but she definitely wouldn't be my choice of authors these days. In my case anyway, tastes have become more astringent the older and more cynical I get![/quote]

Wolf and the Dove *shudders*

I don't know if Jennifer Blake has been mentioned. I discovered her last year through a friend at Goodreads and have enjoyed the books I've read so far. They might not all be steallar 4-5 stars, but she's got a good blend of sensual romance, but she really seems to have a good feel for Creole society, clothes etc. and brings it out well without overdoing it. Just be warned, some of them might have that dreaded non-PC forced seduction trope (or at least I've heard that, haven't come across it myself).
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri September 16th, 2011, 7:20 am

[QUOTE=Misfit;91727]Wolf and the Dove *shudders*

I don't know if Jennifer Blake has been mentioned.QUOTE]

Yeah, add her to my teenage pile. I know I read her but can't actually remember anything about her books. I keep trying to remember all those authors I did back then but my memory is obviously going because I can't compile a list. But when someone mentions one, it comes back to my mind. Mostly I find I can't get along with them anymore. Mind you I can't often read the modern ones of that ilk nowadays either.

Strangely, I can still read Heyer when I am in need of something undemanding.
Last edited by SGM on Fri September 16th, 2011, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri September 16th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Heyer is a delight. Her "romances" are really romantic comedy, I think, and/or comedy of manners, and not usually romance of the type that aims to recreate the feeling of falling in love (at least, they don't have that effect on me).
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri September 16th, 2011, 9:46 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]Heyer is a delight. Her "romances" are really romantic comedy, I think, and/or comedy of manners, and not usually romance of the type that aims to recreate the feeling of falling in love (at least, they don't have that effect on me).[/quote]

I think you are right -- the humour is what makes it possible for me to keep on reading, ie I still haven't grown out of her -- and most importantly, her regency hero does not go off to the pub and order a pint! That is the ultimate wall-banger for me.

I started reading Heyer when I had run out of all the Scarlet Pimpernels I could get my hands on (not so easy to get hold of any book you wanted then) -- about the age of 11 or so. I can't read the Scarlet Pimpernel any more either and I grew up with them.

Nickie
Scribbler

Post by Nickie » Sun September 18th, 2011, 7:20 am

I like to read romances by Sabrina Jeffries, Mary Jo Putney, Kathryn Caskie and Teresa Medeiros. The last three ladies are wonderful persons, who are friendly towards someone they don't know, and when my mother died Teresa even send her condolences.
Always welcome to my site: http://www.nickiefleming.com

Return to “Historical Romance”