Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who are your favorite romance authors??

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Thu April 9th, 2009, 9:42 pm

I've been inhaling Susan Elizabeth Phillips lately, I started with Nobody's Baby But mine, and now I'm hooked. They are such a good blend of humour and romance...I love her! I just finished Match me if you can. Anybody read Nora Roberts? I've just started Born in Fire...pretty good so far.

Oops, sorry guys, I guess this was the Historical Romance thread...OK Balogh is probably one of my fav. Historical Romance writers. You can't be Gellis's Roseylnd series either!
Last edited by Spitfire on Thu April 9th, 2009, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: posted in wrong thread
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue April 28th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Even though I said after reading Twilight I'd be ready for something more serious, I went on a romance binge. I read three books by Marsha Canham and she is now one of my new favorite HR authors. She is excellent! Very smartly written, lots of good history included, and just all around great stories. I read Swept Away and the first two in a Scottish trilogy, Pride of Lions and Blood of Roses. Pride of Lions was excellent and gets very close to five stars as far as HRs go. BoR was good too but the history in this one bogged the story down in places. Plus the heroine slept alot, lol! You all should check this author out! I know I plan to buy a few more of her books now.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue April 28th, 2009, 8:15 pm

I read those about 4-5 years ago and loved them then, but I've been afraid to go back so that's good to hear. I really liked Canham's "robin hood" trilogy its very tongue in cheek at times.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Wed April 29th, 2009, 5:55 am

Thanks for the tip, I'll certainly have a closer look to her books, sounds very interesting. I love HF/HR set in Scotland.

Still have Lady of the Glen by Jennifer Roberson on my TBR pile aswell.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat May 16th, 2009, 4:12 pm

I tend to like more of the older romances like Victoria Holt, Laurie McBain and a new favorite of mine Katherine Deauxville. I bought three of her books a year or so ago and am finally reading them at a devouring speed, they're medieval and very well written and depth they have a great story. True to medieval times too.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Romance Writers of America Conference

Post by princess garnet » Tue May 19th, 2009, 12:19 am

I'm signed up to go to Librarian's Day at the annual Romance Writers of America (RWA) Conference. It's here in DC this year.
I'm slated to be handling the romance genre in our collection so this will be quite an intro for me.

MedievalBookworm
Scribbler

Post by MedievalBookworm » Wed May 20th, 2009, 9:51 am

Julia Quinn is hands down my favorite, with only one exception. I think she writes funny, believable romance. I'm pretty sure the first few books in the Bridgerton series would convert non-romance readers!

I've only just started reading romance again after a several year hiatus, so I'm getting back into the groove of who's great and who's not. Quinn led the way, and so far I've discovered that I really enjoy Lisa Kleypas as well. Georgette Heyer is also a favorite although I know she's written more than romances.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed May 20th, 2009, 8:45 pm

Have you tried Elizabeth Hoyt or Madeline Hunter?
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

MedievalBookworm
Scribbler

Post by MedievalBookworm » Wed May 20th, 2009, 10:50 pm

I haven't tried Hoyt, but she's on my list! I'm going to be reviewing To Beguile a Beast on my blog within the next couple of months, so I will be reading her. I think I read at least one by Madeline Hunter a few years ago, but I don't remember what I thought. I'll have to check her books out again. Thanks!

Aneca
Scribbler

Post by Aneca » Thu May 21st, 2009, 1:25 pm

Since I really like medievals my favourite historical romance authors are Roberta Gellis and Madeline Hunter (medievals only) along with Anita Mills, Denise Domning and Denee Cody. They have all written medievals full of historical detail (at least it seemed so to me) but I don't think I've seen them mentioned here.

And then there's regency authors like Mary Balogh, Georgette Heyer, Liz Carlyle... and contemporaries like Susan Elizabeth Phillips and some of Rachel Gibson's stories.

Return to “Historical Romance”