Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Looking for the title/author of a book set in India.

Norm017

Looking for the title/author of a book set in India.

Post by Norm017 » Thu November 1st, 2012, 3:37 pm

I'm looking for the title/author of a novel set in India (I think before the 1857 Mutiny). It's been a long time since I read the book so it could date back to the 1990s.

This is what I can remember of the plot.

The Heroine is married to an abusive husband I will henceforth refer to as the Brute.

She becomes attracted to a visiting Indian Prince and it becomes mutual. A plot is hatched to allow her and her daughter to flee with the Prince at the end of his visit.

The plan goes wrong and only the heroine is able to escape. The daughters experiences at the hand of the Brute form the novels 'B Plot'.

The heroine becomes one of the princes wives, but has a special duty. Every time the British come visiting she is behind a screen advising the prince on just how to get the best outcome.

Eventually there is a gap in these visits (Possibly the result of the 1857 Mutiny), when the British return the prince askes the heroine to again advise him. She refuses essentially stating that she has become so assimilated into the local court/culture that she has fundamentally changed and no longer considers herself English. The prince replies to the effect that at any other time this news would please him, but now...

I'm not entirely sure what happens after this point, but from what I can remember of the climax the prince dies and the British send a group to confirm his successor.

One of the party is the Brute, he immediately realises that his (ex-)wife is one of the sari clad women near the new prince. This triggers events that leave the Brute dead and the Heroine being 'punished' for her role in it by being required to act as ambassador to new British resident who just happens to be married to the daughter the heroine was forced to leave behind.

I'd dearly like to find a copy just to confirm if my recollections are in any way correct.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu November 1st, 2012, 11:20 pm

I'm afraid I can't help with the book, but had to have a giggle at myself for being a relic to whom the idea of something dating "back to the 1990s" is hilarious/depressing! :eek:
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu November 1st, 2012, 11:32 pm

[quote=""DianeL""]I'm afraid I can't help with the book, but had to have a giggle at myself for being a relic to whom the idea of something dating "back to the 1990s" is hilarious/depressing! :eek: [/quote]

Hah! Same here, but I predate even further than that. Not a clue, but we'll see if anyone else has ideas. Welcome to the forum.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 5:23 am

Doesn't ring a bell, but you could try scanning the India page at www.HistoricalNovels.info, in case the title and/or author ring bells for you.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 9:48 am

Sometimes I forget that the early 90s is nearly 20 years ago!
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 10:29 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]Sometimes I forget that the early 90s is nearly 20 years ago![/quote]

I know! I'm trying to collect a series of an edition of paperbacks published in 1993 and I'm having difficulty finding good-condition copies of them all. It finally dawned on me that it's almost 20 years ago, which would explain it.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 11:41 am

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I know! I'm trying to collect a series of an edition of paperbacks published in 1993 and I'm having difficulty finding good-condition copies of them all. It finally dawned on me that it's almost 20 years ago, which would explain it.[/quote]

I'm seeing more and more of romances from this era coming back to life on Kindle as rights are being reverted back to the authors and apparently some of them are still around. It get tricky, because sometimes they're using different author names and/or titles.

@ Norm017. Another good place to ask is at this group at Goodreads, they're pretty dedicated to the older romances. There's also the romance boards at Amazon.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 6:18 pm

This sounds like something from Katherine Gordon's Peacock series, but I don't think it is one of those. There were quite a few novels around those lines at that time. I'm still trying to remember the title of the one which featured a sexually voracious Rani who seduced both the hero and heroine of the story and also had a penchant for torturing her unfortunate handmaidens with red hot pepper powder. Some of it took place in Afghanistan, I recall. Actually maybe I should check out a bibliography of books written by Christopher Nicole aka Alan Savage aka etc- sounds just his style :)
Last edited by annis on Fri November 2nd, 2012, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norm017

Post by Norm017 » Sat November 3rd, 2012, 7:00 am

[quote=""Margaret""]Doesn't ring a bell, but you could try scanning the India page at www.HistoricalNovels.info, in case the title and/or author ring bells for you.[/quote]

Thanks, I had a quick look at the suggested site there are two that come close to what I remember, but the years are wrong.

[quote=""annis""] Actually maybe I should check out a bibliography of books written by Christopher Nicole aka Alan Savage aka etc- sounds just his style :) [/quote]

Christopher Nicole's books can still be found in the local library system, so I'll try a hunt through those.

Later:Looked at the library system's online catalog. Only the authors books from the 2000's have plot summaries. I'm now wondering if the book may predate the 1990's.
Last edited by Norm017 on Sat November 3rd, 2012, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norm017

Post by Norm017 » Thu December 27th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Still looking for that book title, tried the Bodice Ripper group suggested and got no response.

Return to “Historical Romance”