Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Looking for book title/author

jesmo1980

Looking for book title/author

Post by jesmo1980 » Sat March 12th, 2011, 2:21 am

I read this book a very long time ago but I believe the main characters name is Dave Devan. It is set in the Civil War era. He meets a young woman named Jody. She is dressed as a boy but he knows she is a woman and makes her smoke a cigar as a prank. He fell in love with her but he married her sister, Charlotte, because he got her pregnant. Jody in turn married an abusive man and had a son with him whom she called Tad. When Dave's wife and child die in a fire he reconnects with Jody and helps her out of her marriage and her financial troubles. They eventually marry and have a child together but a fever sweeps through the area and Jody almost dies. When she recovers they live "happily ever after". Any help figuring this out would be great. Thanks!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat March 12th, 2011, 11:09 am

Which civil war?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat March 12th, 2011, 6:28 pm

From the names I would guess American?
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

jesmo1980

Post by jesmo1980 » Sun March 13th, 2011, 12:20 am

yes it is the american civil war

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 13th, 2011, 12:47 am

I'm stumped, but if you are on Goodreads you might go and pop your question at this group. There's at least two there who have a fair amount of Civil War romances on their shelves so you might get lucky.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

jesmo1980

Post by jesmo1980 » Mon March 14th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Thanks Misfit I'll try posting there too ;)

Return to “Historical Romance”