Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I have just picked up two new books...

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Sun November 7th, 2010, 4:11 am

Deanna Raybourn is truly one of my favorites. I have the entire series and have loved each and every one of them. A new one (#4) just came out!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun November 7th, 2010, 4:59 am

JMJ - I don't see a 4th Deanna Raybourn "Silent" mystery mentioned on her website, but maybe she hasn't updated it yet. Do you recall the title? The first three are:

Silent in the Grave
Silent in the Sanctuary
Silent on the Moor
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun November 7th, 2010, 6:35 am

That's because doesn't have a "Silent" title, though it is the fourth book in the Lady Julia Grey mysteries :)

It's called Dark Road to Darjeeling
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/dea ... eeling.htm

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun November 7th, 2010, 10:34 am

I have been thinking about the DR novels for a while but confess I was put off by the Amazon reviews about the dialogue. I keep intending to try Anna Dean instead but have not got round to it yet. I have two by Nicola Cornick but was not impressed them and so have not finished them yet but I might try them again and change my mind -- not entirely sure this is likely though but I haven't passed them onto a charity shop yet which is some sort of sign.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun November 7th, 2010, 4:10 pm

It's called Dark Road to Darjeeling
Thanks, Annis. Great title, and it sounds as good as the others (which I must confess I haven't read, though I'd like to). Raybourn needs to update her website!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Tish437
Scribbler

Post by Tish437 » Mon November 8th, 2010, 1:07 am

There's another one she has written, a standalone, that takes place in Transylvania. :eek: Every bit as good as the mysteries, I just loved it. Give it a try!

Return to “Historical Romance”