Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I have just picked up two new books...

Tish437
Scribbler

I have just picked up two new books...

Post by Tish437 » Sun October 17th, 2010, 9:03 pm

by authors I am not familiar with:

Whisper of Scandal by Nicola Cornick. One of the unusual things about the book is that it takes place on a ship in the area of the Arctic Circle.

The other is Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourne. This one takes place at the location of an old abbey, complete with ghosts. It's the second of a series. (I don't have the first one.)

Have any of you read these? Any thoughts on them? Not sure which one I'll start first, and I'm looking forward to both. They look intriguing.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun October 17th, 2010, 9:09 pm

There's a review here on Silent in the Sanctuary. Deanna Rayborne appears to be well-though-of. http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... .php?t=282

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun October 17th, 2010, 9:09 pm

Sorry, can't help you there but do check back and let us know about the Whisper of Scandal book goes. According to Goodreads it's the first in a series.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Tish437
Scribbler

Post by Tish437 » Sun October 17th, 2010, 9:22 pm

Thanks MLE! It was a good review. Even though she suggested reading the series in order, I believe I'll start that one today. It's cold and drizzling outside and a story in a centuries-old abbey with ghosts would fit right in!

Misfit, I'll post here on both, so you'll see it. I checked out the author's note on Whisper of Scandal. She traveled to a Norwegian island close to the Arctic Circle called Spitsbergen and based her book on that locale because she was so taken with it. I checked it on Wikipedia and it's really quite the place. Snowmobiles in the parking lots (Wikitravel) and even reindeer! And polar bears!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun October 17th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Oh wow. When can we all go?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon October 18th, 2010, 7:03 am

I've read some Nicola Cornick, though not the novel in question. I seem to remember liking her writing in general.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon October 18th, 2010, 7:19 am

I've read a few of Nicola Cornick's Regency romances and enjoyed them. They follow pretty familiar paths but I think she does a nice job with her characterisation. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the one you've picked up.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon October 18th, 2010, 11:14 am

I've got the 3 "Silent" books but haven't read them yet, I haven't heard of the other author though.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Tish437
Scribbler

Post by Tish437 » Tue October 19th, 2010, 2:06 am

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Misfit, I've already got my reindeer reserved for rides. :D

I'm enjoying it very much, wish I could read it all day till done! It's good.

Tish437
Scribbler

Post by Tish437 » Sat October 23rd, 2010, 2:38 am

I finished Silence in the Sanctuary and enjoyed it so much that I bought a copy of the first in the series, Silence in the Grave, or get started on Winter of Scandal. Decisions.

Return to “Historical Romance”