Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Help! Searching for a 70s Novel

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Jaden7
Interest in HF: I have been reading historical fiction since I was a teenager in the 70s
Favourite HF book: Sweet Savage Love series
Preferred HF: 18th - 19th century

Help! Searching for a 70s Novel

Post by Jaden7 » Tue May 3rd, 2022, 1:54 am

Hi everyone!

I’ve been reading historical fiction since I was a teenager in the 70s and read many more in the 80s. I’m a huge fan of Rosemary Rogers, Jennifer Wilde and Patricia Matthews. There are so many others. However, for the longest, I have been stumped on a particular book from the 70s but can’t recall the author or the exact title. I believe it had the word “passion” in the title. I’m thinking, “Proud Passion” but I’ve run across that title and the plot wasn’t as I remembered. I would love to obtain a copy if it’s still in print. At the very least, I would like to know the title, so I can put an end to my wondering.

So far, I recall this from the plot. It was set in the 1700’s. A young lady was living in a fort at the time and had fell in love with a courageous young man there. It was a budding romance. Somehow, she was kidnapped by Native Americans. I think her traveling party had left the fort and were raided. The NA who took her hostage made her his woman. He had fallen in love with her, but she was in love with the other young man. The NA threatened to kill him in secret to keep him from searching for her but I recall her line, “If you kill him, word will spread because he is a great man and then I will forever lie like a dead doe in your arms.” He treated her well and she resigned herself to being his woman. I do recall the horrid torture of a man in her traveling party who was captured. Apparently, it was retribution for his own horrid act toward a NA from their tribe.

That’s about all I remember, other than the very end, but I wouldn’t want to spoil it for anyone who hasn’t read the novel. Does this synopsis sound familiar?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”