Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Introducing myself

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Lee Evie writes and reads
Currently reading: The Luminaries
Interest in HF: I love reading historical fiction set in Asia, both romantic adventures and dark mysteries, but am also very interested in historical fiction set in the ancient world or the less written about countries or historical eras.
Favourite HF book: My current favourite is The Night Tiger by Yangzse Choo
Preferred HF: Detective stories set in unusual countries or periods, romantic stories set against interesting times, and especially novels set throughout Asia, with a particular interest in Korean history (not so much modern but more ancient), Chinese history, Mongolian and other south-east Asian countries.

Introducing myself

Post by Lee Evie writes and reads » Mon March 16th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Hello everybody, my name is Lee Evie and I am a big fan of historical fiction.

I have never been part of an online forum before, but I really love reading historical fiction and am hoping to find out about some more books that will suit me. No one else I know is very interested in historical fiction, so can't give me any recommendations.

My favourite book recently was The Night Tiger by Yangzse Choo, which is set during colonial times in Malaysia. I really adored it.
I also recently read a very sad and moving book I loved called The Bird and The Blade by Megan Bannen, which is set in Mongolia a generation or two after Genghis Khan created his empire. I highly recommend both of these novels.

What I am interested in discovering via this forum, is some dark detective mysteries set in Asia, particularly Korea or China but definitely any other Asian countries too. Also, similar stories set in Egypt or the middle east are good too.
I'd love to know if anyone knows of any mysteries like that.

Right now I am reading the Luminaries, which is set in the 1860s in New Zealand. I really love New Zealand and am very interested in the history of that country so am excited to get stuck into it. I am only a little of the way in so far. Has anyone read it?

Thanks for your time!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Introducing myself

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon March 16th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Welcome, Lee Evie!
Re mysteries set in Asia, I can recommend The Night Tiger. Very well done!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSHDT88/re ... TF8&btkr=1

Lee Evie writes and reads
Currently reading: The Luminaries
Interest in HF: I love reading historical fiction set in Asia, both romantic adventures and dark mysteries, but am also very interested in historical fiction set in the ancient world or the less written about countries or historical eras.
Favourite HF book: My current favourite is The Night Tiger by Yangzse Choo
Preferred HF: Detective stories set in unusual countries or periods, romantic stories set against interesting times, and especially novels set throughout Asia, with a particular interest in Korean history (not so much modern but more ancient), Chinese history, Mongolian and other south-east Asian countries.

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Lee Evie writes and reads » Mon March 16th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Thanks so much Emily, I loved The Night Tiger, it is a wonderful mystery! :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”