Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hello from Devon, England

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
KingdonWard
Interest in HF: I find history fascinating and enjoy learning about a period through stories.
I also write, but have read and understood the policies and don't plan on getting myself booted out for spamming.
Favourite HF book: I can't say I have a favourite
Preferred HF: Ancient and prehistory, different cultures, but really everything.
I like historical accuracy, although I don't mind a bit of fantasy overlaid.

Hello from Devon, England

Post by KingdonWard » Tue October 23rd, 2018, 1:31 pm

Hi there, I can't claim to be an avid reader, although I do read both for pleasure and for research.
I'm interested in all periods of history, but I have particular interest in prehistory and antiquity; neolithic, iron-age, classical, etc. Also quite interested in non-western cultures and history's forgotten 'losers'.
Books I have enjoyed include the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series, Masters of Rome series, and Caroline Lawrence Roman Mysteries. Oh yes, I do enjoy a children's book now and again. Hope nobody will condemn me for that. ;)

I also like several less well-known authors who I have met on my own journey, in particular there's a trilogy on the Trojan Wars which is excellent by a writer called Ben Blake, and I love the Ruso series by Ruth Downie of whom, hopefully, some of you have heard.

I live in Devon where I write, and publish other writers, but I promise not to bend your ears about that side of things.
I hope to catch the occasional tip on what readers want from books, and other writers' tips on effective ways to promote.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Re: Hello from Devon, England

Post by Madeleine » Wed October 31st, 2018, 10:43 am

Hi and welcome to the board, good luck with the writing!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri November 16th, 2018, 3:12 am

Hello, and welcome!

I, too, thoroughly enjoy Ruth Downie's Ruso series.

In the non-western cultures category, have you read The Jewel Trader of Pegu by Jeffrey Hantover? Very unusual setting! A 16th-century Jewish jewel trader in what is now Burma. It's a really interesting exploration of how strange different cultures can seem to each other, while also being strangely freeing, and yet how much the same human nature is underneath all the accretions of culture and custom. Here's my review
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

flicka
Scribbler
Currently reading: Testament
Interest in HF: I've been obsessed by history all my life and in particular with the Dark Ages and whatever reality there might be pertaining to King Arthur. I also like the Roman occupation period.
Favourite HF book: Wolf Hall
Preferred HF: Dark Ages
Medieval
Roman

Post by flicka » Sat July 13th, 2019, 8:12 am

Hello, glad to meet someone else from England. I've just joined and am interested in the fact that you say you publish other writers. I'm looking to publish my own books in early 2020, and would be interested in hearing from you. I like many of the same historical periods as you, and some of my favourite historical books are those by Philippa Gregory, Anya Seton, Jean Auel, MMKaye, and of course I love Gone with the Wind.
Flicka

Return to “Introduce Yourself”